The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

We have a sick clown loach. The other two loaches we have are fine. Other inhabitants are a couple silver dollars and some Bolivian Rams.

This white spot has been developing over a couple days on the loach's back. It *DEFINITELY* is not Ich. The picture doesn't show it because it is a bad camera, but the spot is much bigger than an Ich spot, and he doesn't have the salt effect over his body.

He is fin clamped and gasping.

The two smaller loaches live under a drift wood log, and burrowed out their hollow. At first, we thought it was a raw spot from rubbing against the log (both of them got this above their noses when we first got them, which is a pretty normal thing for loaches without a really soft substrate.)

I'm somewhat at a loss.

Ideas?

The white spot infront of his fin is about an eighth of an inch around or so, and more clearly defined than it was several days ago when it was a whiteish discoloration. His over all color is relatively pale at the moment.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, this is the first time he has been out from under his log long enough to get a good look in a couple days. He definitely has some cysts on his face. That change what you think it is?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might just be the rams whupping their asses. We just fed and one of the male rams went ape [censored][censored][censored][censored] on all the loaches.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is this what the cyst/white spot looks like, http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=20634 .

He definitely has some cysts on his face. That change what you think it is?
No, I think this may connected or caused by the parasites.

The clowns should be able to hold their own against the Rams.;) I've had smaller botias in with Apisto's before and they held their own and most times had first crack at food.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somewhat similar. Thanks for the help. Google revealed that Levamisole would be impossible to get quickly. Ran out and picked up Metronidazole/Praziquantel which apparently isn't guarenteed, but can do the trick.

Anything else to suggest?

Thanks again, it is appreciated. A faulty heater (yeah, the one that got recalled like two weeks before it killed our fish, and we never heard about it till afterwards) killed a loach that we had had for 8 years recently. Really dont want to lose this guy after having him for 2 months.

Is this what the cyst/white spot looks like, http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=20634 .

The clowns should be able to hold their own against the Rams.;) I've had smaller botias in with Apisto's before and they held their own and most times had first crack at food.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, pretty sure the alpha male ram and the female are trying to make the beast with two backs right now. They are idiotically highly colored at the moment, and the male is acting like he wants to fist fight godzilla.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anything else to suggest?
Do a Want To Buy thread in the Swap-n-Shop for some deworming flake food (I don't know if it'll work) and/or some Levamisole. Somebody may have some extra to spare.

Do you have dogs or cats? If so ask your vet and tell them what your doing with it.

Would you mind updating on the treatment? I'm curious to see how it goes and I hope it goes well.

A faulty heater (yeah, the one that got recalled like two weeks before it killed our fish, and we never heard about it till afterwards) killed a loach that we had had for 8 years recently. Really dont want to lose this guy after having him for 2 months.
Yeah, with the long life of these guys, they become part of family.;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem with deworming flake is that actually getting it to the loach would be very difficult. Our male redhook silver dollar is nearly as virile as the rams. Anything that floats and is food he snaps up while the female and the spotted get what is left. The frozen brine shrimp and blood worms is what the rams and loaches end up getting mostly.

I'll try for Levamisole on swap'n'shop, thanks. Also been reading that garlic extract helps in a number of places. Certainly won't hurt. Gunna soak the brine shrimp in that tomorrow, as that is mostly what the loaches end up eating.

I'll post after the treatment is run its course. The product is API "General Cure."

Do a Want To Buy thread in the Swap-n-Shop for some deworming flake food (I don't know if it'll work) and/or some Levamisole. Somebody may have some extra to spare.

Do you have dogs or cats? If so ask your vet and tell them what your doing with it.

Would you mind updating on the treatment? I'm curious to see how it goes and I hope it goes well.

Yeah, with the long life of these guys, they become part of family.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts