The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
both of my glass catfish are not doing well. they are both turning white and 1 of them is laying on the bottom. the one that is the most lethargic, the one laying on the bottom looks like its bent. not like a C but more like ~ . the only thing that changed recently was my scape. i had to pull a monster sword plant and it kicked up a LOT of mulm. no other fish seem to be affected. all the other fish are actually more active and seem happier now because the new scape gives them some room. but any ideas out there as to whats causing it, and will it eventually kill my other fish?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have read that once they start turning white it too late to do anything. I hope that info is wrong. I have 7 Glass Cats and I love them they are awesome fish. I hope yours are doing OK.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What's the temperature of the tank? They like it cool 20-23c and lots of flow, might be something to consider. Try cleaning the filter and doing another waterchange.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big water change coming tonight after work... i beleive the temp is around 77-79. its weird how it happened though. they were both fine one day then the next they were both milky... the filter is definatley clean i just did it last month. only 1 of them has the bent spine tho.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know about it being clean with a months use, we over at UKaps tend to say that a filter should be cleaned once a month...

It does sound like some kind of spike but glass cats are a very tempramental fish.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, I don't know about it being clean with a months use, we over at UKaps tend to say that a filter should be cleaned once a month...

It does sound like some kind of spike but glass cats are a very tempramental fish.
its an eheim 2213... not a hob. do you really clean your canisters once a month?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use mostly ceramic noodles and Bio Balls in my filters (I have 1 coarse pad in 2 of my 4 Eheims) and need to only do a quick flush every 4 - 6 months. I have never found any reason in planted tanks for anything other than biologic filtration. Floss works too and does a better job of filtering out smaller particles but I have found that also clogs too fast for my laziness. ;) I find that I continually get good flow if I regularly clean the tubing and keep the spray bar holes clean with a pipe cleaner.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Religiously clean everything in the filter once a month. Mainly to keep as much waste and mulm which could cause algae out of my system. It's better to keep things clean and look after the aquatic environment than just wait till there's an issue. Tom Barr always says that maintenance is vital to a good health in the tank with fish and plants so it's something I try not to skimp on.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RIP 1 glasscat :icon_cry:
the other one is still milky but not laying on the bottom. it seems atleast stable. has not gotten worse or better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.