The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello, a few of my Harlequin Rasbora are showing some signs of some sort of illness. A few have a white/silver looking spot. Its reflective so I thought maybe a scale fell off. Now a few of the fins are turning white and one has white on the back and stomach. Maybe early stages of fin rot? I have Melafix which I've started adding. Should I start adding salt as well? Here are a few pictures but its kind of hard to see.

Thank you

Ok looking again it is definitely fin rot. Its just the fins of the fish turning white and one looks like he is having issues with his swim bladder and keeps floating upside down for a second and then righting himself. It has spread to my Espi rasboras as well now. I'm guessing this is a result of the temps being higher than the Harlequins like at 80 thus stressing them out. The water is all good with nitrate around 15 and 0s for ammonia and nirite. So I've read that Melafix might not be the best cure and to go with an antibiotic instead like Tetracycline. Unfortunately my hospital tank is still cycling so I can't take the fish out and will have to treat the whole tank. What I'm worried about are my Electric Blue Rams. Does anyone know if this is safe for them since they are so sensitive? Also will treating the tank with an antibiotic destroy the beneficial bacteria causing another cycle?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have had good results using melafix to cure fin rot but I have only experienced the fungal form. Using an antibiotic will kill beneficial bacteria but shouldn't crash the tank. You may get more response if you can get a closer picture of an afflicted fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.