The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, I have a discus that is not doing very well, I think he got picked on by one of my others, but now i'm not so sure. His body has little dark spots on one side, and also has some concave spots on his side. Also noticed his eye has some skin or w/e kinda peeling off, like someone attacked it. And also some of his fins are damaged. He can not swim and just sits on the bottom on his side, and every once in a while gets a kick and "swims" a bit, but then right back to his side.

I feel so bad for the little guy not knowing what to do. I feel I am going to have to put him out of his misery. But I want to do whatever I can to save him.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would post a picture and put the discus in a QT tank with some Epson salt to start with.
Provide additional details on the tank and water parameters.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
He definitely doesn't look good. Something might have attacked him or rammed him, do you have any hard-headed catfish in the tank?
Tank size?
Tank age?
Tankmates?
Any past problems like this?
Filtration?
Any powerheads?
Definitely isolate him away from the others, try to get some food to him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There are 4 discus in one of my grow out tanks. Its a 40 gallon, with an sponge filter and a EHEIM Classic canister filter. I keep the temp at 86F tank has been up for 7-8 months. It does have a powerhead in it, but not a very powerful one. And no, This is the first case of it this bad. I have seen one pick on him quite a bit in the past. But never anything like this. I know discus need to be in larger groups, I have 10 more growing up in another tank, But they are to small to put with my larger ones yet.

And I do have some food for him, But since he can really only swim on his side, I dont think he will eat it....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thank you for the advice and info, But sadly he did not make it through the day. Got him to eat a little this morning, But when I got home from work he was dead :(. RIP little fella

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't know he looks like he's got a sunk belly. Had he been eating good before this? It looks from your photo that he was not eating good.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I didn't see this thread until now.

I am thinking it just got beat up pretty bad and sustained internal injuries, which led it to become to just resting a lot because it was too hurt/weak to move. And in turn, not moving around well and being in the overall weakened state he was in, he would be more prone to further attacks, infections and most likely eating a lot less or not at all which would further weaken the fish until the point it's body couldn't keep going. The older age and/or competing for spawning and/or dominating for "position in the pack" could explain the increased aggression.

But check the other fish to see if there is any signs of disease. If the injured discus had a infection, it doesn't necessarily mean the other discus will be sick because they are not in a weakened state of health.

So if it was all due to fighting, next time this happens, separate the aggressor if the weaker fish is already hurt (the weak fish is already stressed and transferring it around decreases chance of survival/recovery, plus there is a chance the aggressor will become more docile upon reintroduction. And sometimes if just removing the picked on fish, the dominant one might then pick on the next weakest fish). If you don't have another tank to separate them, then use some kind of divider (egg crate, container).

I am not familiar with Discus so I don't know if these are effective aids, but on most freshwater fish, Melafix, Indian Almond Leaves, Alder Cones, Cholla Wood, etc. (tannin sources), and even some salt can be therapeutic and aid in healing/recovery and can prevent infections from also taking place and prevent them from further weakening or killing the fish.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for your loss. I didn't see this thread until now.

I am thinking it just got beat up pretty bad and sustained internal injuries, which led it to become to just resting a lot because it was too hurt/weak to move. And in turn, not moving around well and being in the overall weakened state he was in, he would be more prone to further attacks, infections and most likely eating a lot less or not at all which would further weaken the fish until the point it's body couldn't keep going. The older age and/or competing for spawning and/or dominating for "position in the pack" could explain the increased aggression.

But check the other fish to see if there is any signs of disease. If the injured discus had a infection, it doesn't necessarily mean the other discus will be sick because they are not in a weakened state of health.

So if it was all due to fighting, next time this happens, separate the aggressor if the weaker fish is already hurt (the weak fish is already stressed and transferring it around decreases chance of survival/recovery, plus there is a chance the aggressor will become more docile upon reintroduction. And sometimes if just removing the picked on fish, the dominant one might then pick on the next weakest fish). If you don't have another tank to separate them, then use some kind of divider (egg crate, container).

I am not familiar with Discus so I don't know if these are effective aids, but on most freshwater fish, Melafix, Indian Almond Leaves, Alder Cones, Cholla Wood, etc. (tannin sources), and even some salt can be therapeutic and aid in healing/recovery and can prevent infections from also taking place and prevent them from further weakening or killing the fish.
Thank you, If this happens again I will be doing that for sure. All the other guys still look great thankfully. Once my younger ones get bigger they will go in there, and that should help out since they feel more relaxed it bigger numbers.

I use almond leaves pretty much all the time. There is always one in the tank. They love to lay under it as funny as that sounds. They will lay completely horizontal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are in a different tank ATM so they are all good. I feed them 4-5 times a day. When I wake up, On my lunch, when I get home and before bed. And sometimes just randomly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts