The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that my discus fish in my 46 gallon bow front tank has a disease that looks like a thread of slime with a white dot at the end. There are several of these things on each side of the body, mostly on the upper half. Also, in one small spot, it appeared as if the fish's body slime was coming off. I have had the fish since August, and have not introduced anything new to the tank since then. Yesterday, the fish appeared perfectly healthy, with none of these threads, and was actively swimming and eating. Today, it is not as active, but otherwise appears to be okay except for the threads.

The other fish, 3 koi swordtails and 7 cardinal tetras, don't have these strange threads on them. Ph is 7.4, Ammonia & Nitrite are 0, and Nitrate is around 10. I do weekly water changes of 50%. I feed the fish with flakes, pellets, and freeze dried Artemia. There are also a few zebra nerite snails added over a year ago.

What could this disease be? The closest thing I could think of was fungus, but it doesn't look much like fungus. Searching on multiple fish sites also failed to yield an answer.

EDIT:How odd. Now it has little white dots. A bit like ich but dots appear to be on the outside and looks a bit like dots of fungugs. Less dots too.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Sounds to me like it might be some sort of parasite?

I know one of Jack Wattley's favorite discus treatments that's supposed to be effective on many different issues is to slowly lower the pH down to the 5 range. Never tried it personally, but I know this type of treatment can be very effective on humans...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I catch mine and dip or swab with PP and it works for a lot of there problems. You can also raise the temp a few degrees. Good luck

·
Registered
767 Posts
that happened to me and lost a few discus. i took out all my plants and treated my tank with quick cure for a week with daily W/C

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like you could have anchor worms . The treatment is to remove the parasites with foreceps , give the fish a medical bath . And then add fish safe insecticide to the water to kill the free swimming you . Even if it isn't anchor worms though this procedure should remove it if it's any kind of external parasite .

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fish seems to be getting a better. A lot of the dots are gone, and there are only like three left.

It's not anchor worms, threads/dots don't have a red base.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Better but not cured...
Can you rise the temp? Not sure how much but I think is 92.
I would dose pimafix and melafix
or metronidazole.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is that ph not high for discus? With that ph the fish may be stressed and is going to get sick.The ph should be at 7 or below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have kept discus fish for years and the tried and true treatment I use, is raising the temperature. I raise mine to 90 when I see some form of disease, usually due to the introduction of a new species. My tank then sits at 86 and I never have a problem with sick discus. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts