The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents fish have been getting sick and slowly dying off. This is the last one with the growth on it's head but I'm afraid the others may get infected.

Does anyone know what this is? Or how to cure it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Are the fish eating? I am not sure but I might guess hexamita and if so treatment would be Metronidazole.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I agree with hexamita. This is very common in cichlids the parasite is present in most cichlid's system and is only allowed to manifest itself into a disease outbreak if tank conditions are poor, stress is high, diet is inadequate, etc. Essentially there is a problem in your parent's tank which must be addressed first and foremost. What are you feeding them? It is believed that low levels of vitamin C can contribute to the disease, food soaks such as Selcon and high quality fish foods can prevent this cause.

Cichlids are messy are you/they doing weekly large WCs? Parrot cichlids dont have the dental hardware to destroy plants, plant their tank it will help with water quality. Nitrates should really not be over 10ppm and 20ppm being the most.

I agree treat with Metro+, you can use it as a food soak, dose the tank, and even mix some up in a syringe and force feed the fish. I once had a wild Oscar come down with Hex after being shipped. Fish stopped feeding and was non-responsive to water treatments. I took a small amount of Metro+ and dissolved with tank water and injected this into the fish's mouth force feeding the fish the mixture. I did this every other day for a week. Within 2 weeks it was back on feed and perfectly healthy. The force feed method is a last ditch effort to save cichlids with this disease who are not responding to less invasive treatments.

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Step one is water quality. We can see that it is not the best so I would work on getting that fixed at the same time as treating. Of the two, getting the water clean and keeping it clean will do far more than treating while still keeping them in bad conditions. Careful with using meds as some will kill the good bacteria we need and that can send you into a "death spiral" with ammonia creates even more problems than the original disease.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
@PlantedRich I know you raise cichlids so I am curious if you would agree with the following. Those are hybrid, my guess is blood parrot cichlids. As hybrids they are most likely more susceptible to poor water quality than average?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Shame, I doubt that thing can even close its mouth.
I bought my 75g used and it had one in it and I got rid of it, couldnt stand to look at it but to each their own. Thats one of the issues with blood parrots is their mouths, they have a hard time eating some foods and my understanding is they grind their food up with their throat. The are prone to malnutrition because of their deformed mouth. They are also prone to other genetic deformities. Like I said to each their own but if every pet store stopped selling them and the market dried up I wouldnt complain but thats me.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Agreed,they are prone to nutrition problems IME, hence feeding a high quality base pellet AND using some food soaks such as Selcon to give them a vitamin boost helps. Cichlids as a whole are prone to Hex and water quality issues, the tank appears dirty from the tint of the water. It is also important to remember these are a Midas/Red devil hybrid there is a whole lot of anger and aggression without the means to do anything because of their deformities....still need to stock them sparingly to keep the stress levels down.

Not my cup of tea either, but many people like them. In good health they are very colorful....this individual is very faded in appearance another sign of poor health. So many nice SA/CAs out there...too bad most don't like plants.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It seems to be one of the traits of the human race? We are not happy with having a few hundred or a few thousand different types of things. We have to try for new, even if the result is not really a very workable item. It is not only in the fish world that it happens. Look at dogs and cats? Are athletes and steroids far from doing the same for humans? You often hear of the biggest and best pro athletes developing some major disease and dying an early death so I would assume the fish we deform would not be much better. When mind and body are not normal, we can't expect things to live a normal life.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Agreed, look at EBJDs as another example. Absolutely beautiful cichlid however their lifespan is cut to crap due to the amount of inbreeding it takes to produce them. As if a regular high quality JD wasn't pretty enough. I have 2 dogs...one pure APBT and one which is an "American Bully"...she is the new designer "pitbull" and sadly what most people thinks is the true purebred. She however is riddled with health issues and one of the most jacked up sets of teeth ever. We got her as a rescue so I cant vouche for upbringing or breeding but it is an excellent example of humans pushing the envelope too far in terms of focusing on altering the physicality of something to suit our own ideas of vanity resulting in horrible consequences for the animal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.