The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fish have been healthy for many months. Have not had a death since late summer. Recently two fish have been acting strange. They isolate themselves and then slow to no eating, getting very skinny then death. The first to do this and die was an Silver Angel. Now one of my prized Angelicus Botia (Botia kubotai) is doing the same thing. It's pal is almost twice around as it now. It just sits off alone and never seems to eat. It has been doing this for about a week.

All other fish seem to be doing fine. I am not sure what to do. It is almost nothing but bone. What is really sad is the other keeps by it side from time to time, going up to it as if to say "come on man, lets swim around..."

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
888 Posts
What are your water parameters? Are their poo stringy and whitish? Try Metronidazole to stimulate their appetite.:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Won't that hurt my shrimp?
No.:) I used Metro several times and I had shrimps in my tank. Metronidazole is pretty mild and acts as a stimulant to improve the fish's appetite and remove intestinal parasites. It works for me.:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
So, what is the best form/brand to get Metronidazole in? What did you use Bluebell?
Flagyl.:)
Darn..10 characters minimum for post.:icon_mrgr

By the way, I also used generic Metros in case I do not have Flagyl in my medicine box.:) Flagyl is very expensive so I seldom buy it nowadays. I've use it several times last year though.:)

Edit: Will add a 'Good luck' for you.:) Hope your loaches are still fine.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless I am missing something, Flagyl or Metronidazole in this form is a prescricption drug. I can't just buy this stuff. Is there a fish specific that is pure Metro that could be used with no issue to my inverts and plants?

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
888 Posts
You'll see some people in most forums using Flagyl and my friend and I have used them several times to treat hexamita and stimulate the fish's appetite. I had no issues using Flagyl in my community tank which has invertebrates and plants.:) By the way, someone in one of the forums(outside PTF) stated that sensitive plants may be affected temporarily although I can't prove that since I've never kept any sensitive plants

Edit: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/38733-white-poop-help.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/19494-losing-rams-help.html
The one on the above paragraph is another matter.:) Pls let me know if the links are working. It seems they don't work.:confused: Otherwise, just go on search engine, type 'Flagyl' and you'll get 4 results.:)

Another edit: Links seem working for me now.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so here we go....

10 gallon M.A.S.H. tank setup. Filled with 5 gallons of primary tank water. Installed heater and turned up to 82 degrees. Placed air stone in middle of tank.

Purchased Jungle Internal Parasite Guard. Per directions put in 1 teaspoon into M.A.S.H. tank. Will repeat ever other day for 3x's.

Question. I don't really need a filter if I do a 25% change every day for a week do I?

There is a devil on my sholder saying to add some aquarium salt, but I did not for fear of FLAME from some.

Any other thoughts. My Botia is worse, but still swimming somewhat, so hopefully not to late. I will attempt to put in some food (maybe garlic laced) over the next day or so, but only a little.

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, once a year I really say something stupid and really feel dumb.. Sure happened early this year. Dooh! :eek:

·
Registered
888 Posts
It happens most of the time.;) Don't get tempted by a devil to dose salt.:)

Will keep a watch on this thread and see for updates.:) Your loaches will not be easily stressed with the salt added.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, to little to late I guess. My little guy is off to the big tank in the sky...:frown:

Thanks for all your help.

Ted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts