The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay

BACKGROUND
first i had fin rot, then i had ICK - bad ick...

re-did tank at this point

then hair alge,
did a COMPLETE water change, cleaned tank, CO2'd tank, peroxided tank... excelled tank (WITHOUT BETTA OF COURSE, though not sure CO2 would even affect a betta)

NOW
this...
i have an alge bloom AND A sick betta (plus other stuff in my other tanks.. bad day)

i have been treating with paraguard ...
and it's starting to get better (i did order some antibiotics, and a uv hob filter)

it's like gray on his face.. it's better and this is the best shots i could get of him. (and if i call him a her i apologize i think of betta boys as girls as they are all fancy and dressed up)

this was darker at first.. and it getting better it's under his chin like a beard.. i almost didn't see it my daughter did...

Untitled by laq997, on Flickr

yes there is a white spot on his fin, it's been there forever.. get's me every time..

white spots on head are from the camera flash you can't see them with the naked eye.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You have a red male veiltail betta.

Greying section around the mouth is NORMAL.

The white on the TIPS of the ventral fins is NORMAL. It's new fin growth. It turns red after 1-2 weeks.

In the future, make sure you know the fish is sick before you MEDICATE.

Medicating for no reason can create STRONGER drug resistant bacteria.

Other than that, your betta looks healthy & has a nicely decorated tank to play in.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait... he NEVER had a beard before and it's WAY smaller since i medicated him.

no the white tips on his fins are his 'bow tie' they have been white since i got him.

my other betta had a 'spot' of gray on him too, one day with paraguard and it cleared up 100%

·
Registered
554 Posts
I still don't see anything......

When you have a moment, learn the anatomy of your betta. Each fin on their body has a specific name.

• That white spot on the betta's "pectoral" fins looked like a spec of dust next to your 2 fingerprints in that photo.
  • There's also a U shaped spec of dust right above the betta's mouth.
  • There's also a smaller spec of dust below his "operculum" gill area.

I'm sure you have some sort of basic photo program like MSPaint (Windows) or Paintbrush (MAC) program on your computer. Use that to highlight the area you're concerned with.

Try to get a better photo of the AREA that you're concerned about.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You chose one of the most hardiest, yet most abused fish in this hobby.
If you medicated the poor thing when he had ich (copper based meds), more likely than not, it caused permanent damage to the betta's health. The results of that may be what you see right now. there is really no need to medicate a fish for ich. High temperature wil take care of it.

For now, I think it is best if you invest in some Indian Almond leaves and prepare to turn your tank into tea. raise your tank temperature slowly to 82 if it is not that high already...and feed the betta a live food diet on top of a healthy staple.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you medicated the poor thing when he had ich (copper based meds), more likely than not, it caused permanent damage to the betta's health. The results of that may be what you see right now. there is really no need to medicate a fish for ich. High temperature wil take care of it.

For now, I think it is best if you invest in some Indian Almond leaves and prepare to turn your tank into tea. raise your tank temperature slowly to 82 if it is not that high already...and feed the betta a live food diet on top of a healthy staple.
If you medicated the poor thing when he had ich (copper based meds), more likely than not,
NO COPPER... i used seachem paraguard, the Aquarium salt didn't work. I made the mistake of using a stronger med on my other betta and it killed him. I used HEAT and paraguard (only the days i HAD to) i was away and my fish sitter didn't notice he was sick.

Little fellow is also having a tank clouding problem right now (it was 'slightly' cloudy this morning and got worse HOWEVER, the UV filter i ordered for his tank came and I have it going now)

I have the tank at 82 (first thing i did was heat) I THOUGHT about using AQ salt but he HATED it the first time.

the gray is NOT normal for him and it is getting better daily with the Paraguard I just wish i knew what it was. (my other betta had a SPOT of this on his chin, 1 day on paraguard and it went away).

--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts