The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my betta is sick, but I cannot figure out exactly what is wrong with him so I don't know how to treat him.

First, tank stats:

Tank: 5.5 Gallon
Filter: 15 Gallon HOB, baffled with moss covered mesh (so the outflow doesn't beat him up)
Heater: Set to 80
Light: Finnex 5w Clip Light
Water changes: 50% every Sunday
Plants: Heavily planted with anubias nana on wood, bolbitis, moss, water lettuce.
Food: Bloodworms and blackworms, both frozen and dried
Companions: A couple of ghost shrimp and a couple of nerite snails
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Now, my betta. I've had this betta for about a year and a half. I got him when he was just fully grown from a breeder, not a pet store. He's a crowntail with long, fringed fins. Temperamentally, he has always been on the chill and lazy side compared to other bettas I have owned. He likes to lie on the anubias leaves, or against the filter intake (which really freaked me out the first time I saw him do it). But he seems to have been declining over the last few weeks. That's the only way I can describe it. There is nothing obviously wrong with him like sores, spots, bumps, slime, or fin tears. But his fins seem shorter and less fringed, his color is muddy, and he is much less active. He also seems more anxious. He has never liked water changes, but he usually just stayed out of my way while I worked. Now he seems actually frightened and tries to wedge himself into tiny, impossible places while I clean and then hides for hours afterwards. He's hiding a lot in general, and not moving much. Now he's starting to lose interest in food. There's definitely something wrong with him, but I do not know what. The only guess I have would be parasites, but I see no sign of them. I just think of them because he has eaten live blackworms before (though so did all of my other tanks, without issue).

How should I treat this? I have Seachem Paraguard, aquarium salt, and epsom salts. Should I try any or all of these?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would do an Epsom bath 1 teaspoon in 1 gallon of water for 10 minutes, just to sooth him, and treat for possible constipation... they do overeat sometimes.
After that I would dose the paraguard...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.