The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I thought I would finally get into keeping angelfish since I recently got back into planted tanks and it has been off to a rough start.

Here are the tank parameters as of last night:
55 gallon
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20
PH - 6.5

Long story short, after a couple of weeks I had purchased 4 angelfish from 3 different stores, 2 of which I have had good experiences with and a third that I had not dealt with previously. Two of the fish have been eating like pigs while the other two have not eaten since I got them. I made a big mistake by forgoing the QT and think I will pay for it now. The first angel that wasn't eating I figured was due to being in a new environment and would snap out of it in a day or two like the rest, it didn't look stressed and it wasn't acting odd. The last angel I got however has not eaten and is in very rough shape, I fear that what it has is spreading in the tank (it is not in a QT probably too little too late).

Here are the symptoms of the sickest fish:
-Kind of acts like its out of it/lost in space and doesn't pal around with the others.
-Tilted up at a 45 degree angle
-Looks like it is gasping for air even though it doesn't hang out at the surface or the substrate.

It looked really bad this morning and I will be surprised if it makes it through my work hours today. What scares me is that the first angel I bought is starting to show the same signs while one of the others is still not eating. This morning I fed the tank to see how they reacted and one of the angles eagerly eats like a pig while the remaining 2 just swam around slowly without paying attention. I really do not want to lose these fish and am hoping I can save them somehow. I had read about something called Siamese Angelfish Disease and am a little worried it could be something along those lines.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you inject CO2? If not it could be anything really, QT the sick acting ones and start by just giving them really clean water (large daily changes) with 1 tbs of salt per 10 gallons adding methylene blue will help with their breathing. If they still are going downhill after a day or 2 you need to decide what you are dealing with bacterial or parasitic and treat accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No CO2 on the system. All of the other fish are fine (Bolivian Rams, Von Rio Tetras, Skunk Cories) and as of last night so are 2 of the 4 Angelfish. I do worry though because of the fact that this morning one of the "healthy" angels began showing signs of disinterest in food. If the worst angel is still alive when I get home I can do a better look but there was really no apparent disease or infection other than the lack of eating, lack of socializing, and swimming with the nose slightly up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is how it starts, I would pull them out and treat them for internal parasites. First prazipro them metro or get something like general cure which is a combination of the 2. Watch out for secondary infections like fin rot you may need to get a "safe" antibiotic like furan 2/bifuran (there is a guy on aquabid that has good deals on bulk meds his furan drug has a dash of methylene blue too). You can also do a KMnO4 bath but that is for those who know what they are doing. I would first start by putting the sick ones in QT with very clean water (large daily water change) and salt and how see they do, don't bother trying to feed them during treatment you will just pollute the water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, unless someone else has any input I am going to have to do that. I did read over my first comment and I meant to say that now (instead of not) the sick fish is in QT, so on the bright side one of the sick fish is out and in fresh water. How would I know its parasites? Is that just a best guess at this point or is there more to it? I have kept fish for years but have been lucky so far as to not have to deal with much other than having to cure one of my wife's fish of popeye years back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
clear tube feces is one clue (but is not a slam dunk), not eating is another. Pooping out worms would be a slam dunk diagnosis. I would do the prazipro treatment anyhow as it is considered safe (add extra aeration as it lowers O2 exchange at the surface) and then if they still are not 100% do the metro combined with furan-2/bifuran. Just IMO we'll sewhat other say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts