The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked at my angel and his belly is HUGE!. Never seen this before, just fed him lightly a couple hours ago. Just added fish today that were from a healthy tank - the owner qt's his fish for a couple weeks before he sells them, and they had been in the 'for sale' tank for weeks.

IMO this happened too soon after the fish were added (maybe 2 hours) for that to have been the cause.

Any other reasons for the bloating?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Place the angel in your QT tank.
How big is the angel(just the body size)?
There is also an option to take the angel back to the seller.

What do you have in your tank?
Water parameters?
Is the Angel eating and acting normal?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like it's either bloated (constipated from something like overeating-which angels love to do-or parasites, or who knows what), or maybe you have a female about to lay eggs? Some will swell up like that for a few days before laying. A picture would be helpful.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay here are some half-decent shots...

He is eating, but hanging out in one spot. This isn't that unusual though he is the only angel and he kicks it by himself a lot - he's actually acting pretty normal. He is noticeably slimmer than last night, maybe he just managed to eat too much.

·
Registered
544 Posts
looks like constipation. Mine sometimes get like that when they eat too much, but it takes a day to get back to normal. I would observe him closely for a couple of days before medicating, unless he starts acting weird, which I understand he doesn´t so far.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Does anyone else think is a FEMALE?? I know it can be tough to tell at times but the head looks more female than male,JMHO hence the big belly and possible eggs. Glad it is doing better and hope it stays that way. You may not have to register to look up stuff.

·
Registered
567 Posts
How big is it? It's nearly impossible to tell the sex if they're still pretty small; the male doesn't start to develop the humped head until 4-8 months old, and some never do. Without seeing them breed, it's really just a guess anyway...but I'm going to say female.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Actually, you can have a female lay without a male. But since the swelling went away without eggs appearing or any egg-laying behavior, she probably was not getting ready to lay, but just stuffed herself too full of food. Angels are notorious for being pigs...I used to have a group of little ones that would overeat pelleted food, and then would swell up and lay on the bottom of the tank like they wanted to die, but by dinner time they were ready to do it all over again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.