The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have a 5.5 gallon BETTA tank and I have been battling some really annoying hair algae.
I can not seem to get any small creature that will eat hair algae but shrimp(Cant put shrimp in tank cuz betta mite attack it thats what happened to my Red Cherry Shrimp).
I run co2, I am not dosing iron rite now cuz I heard that promotes hair algae, and I decreased the amount of time the light is on.
Can someone please help me?!
Do you think I could get some amano shrimp or will they be attacked?
Do you guys have any methods or creatures that my betta won't attack?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There is no guarantee that shrimp, snails, or fish will eat your algae.

You need to find the right balance of light, CO2, and ferts for your tank.

Are you using pressurized CO2 or DIY? DIY CO2 is not very stable. Fluctuating CO2 levels can lead to algae.

You can try this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684&highlight=one+two+punch to help get the algae under control.
He's right. Hair algae is also a big indicator of too much light. I'd cut back your photoperiod even more to see if helps. Spot treat the existing stuff with excel or h202. How long are the lights on and what kind are they?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
A picture of the tank would help, but you need to state exactly what the light is.

·
Registered
921 Posts
As they said, cut your photoperiod.

Also try adding a bunch of floating plants as shade, and to compete will algea.

You may want to dump a bunch of hornwort/elodea in there too.... you can just float it.

Plants release chemicals that fight algae, the more plants the less likely you are to have algae problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have very minimal experience with hair algae but I'll add in my $.02. I have a low light tank with low light plants. So not much need for ferts. Well I tried adding in some trace ferts and regardless of the quantity I add the next day there are a few wisps of hair algae blowing in the current. About a day later it clears up. So my anecdotal advice is reduce ferts if you are using them.

I use flourish excel each day and that iron doesn't seem to have any affect either which way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts