The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sicce CO2 system

17942 21
Wondering if anyone has tried this new product: http://www.sicceus.com/co2.html

The long term cost is higher than pressurized, but a lot of my customers are put off by the upfront price of a pressurized system. I remember other units like Carbo-Plus making the same claims and not being on the market long, but there is a store in Wilmington, NC that swears by these units. Anyone have first hand experience with the Sicce?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not comparing it to pressurized, just a source of CO2 for those who are holding off on the upfront investment of a pressurized unit. The sales rep told me that it is a major upgrade from the old technology but of course, he is a rep for the product. If anyone sees any online reviews, please post.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd like to see the reviews of this item also. My LFS got them in recently and are running them on some of their show tanks and they say they are pleased with the results.

Also, has anyone found them for sale online?

·
Administrator
12,174 Posts
I have gotten good feedback from a member of my local fish forum who has been trying this product, he also owns a lfs.
Sorry to say, but it sounds like he is just trying to push a product.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
And because they own a fish store, doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about. A guy in Toledo was telling his customers 2 VHO bulbs over a 180g tank would grow any coral imaginable! And he had a laaaaaarge following of fools......I mean customers.

It's an interesting product, and made by Sicce so the quality is there. For small tanks I think it'd work fine but even "medium" sized, that's $140 in replacements a year (assuming 3 months worth of CO2) plus the cost of the unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I work at a shop and also have multiple planted tanks, we use them on our systems and they work great. A couple design flaws here and there when they first were released, but if you van find one they do the job well. Price wise it isnt practical at all if you have over a 75g tank. also, the replacement time seems to be more about 3-4 months for the cartridges.

At my store we sell them:
CO2 life 1: $107.99 (cartridge $24.99)
CO2 life 2: $139.99 (cartridge $29.99)

·
Registered
471 Posts
i just brought the sicce co2 (model 2) and i have only 4 bubbles per minute!!!
They don't work that way. Nearly as I can tell, most of the CO2 is dissolved inside the unit, which makes sense as it's freeing the carbon from the block at the molecular level. All you actually see coming out of it is the occasional bubble of what didn't dissolve straight away.

That being said, after over a year of futzing with this system, including two different units and multiple cartridges, I never had one dissolve more than ~30% of the carbon block. I even removed one and cleaned the plate to try to get it to run longer after it quit. What can I say? I was motivated by space constraints. :shrug:

You could say I was disappointed.

So, after spending enough to have paid for a pressurized system about twice, I've now managed to put together a pressurized system that fits in my limited space.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.