The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any advice!

I realise at first glance this probably sounds like an awful idea bit I'll expand on it so you have context.

So I have a 300 gallon heavily planted aquarium with 80 tiger barbs making up the bulk of the stock. Have a number of catfish too (megalodoras uranoscopus and trachelyoptetus fisheri, spotted/striped doras), a group of zebra danios, and a couple of Guianacara dacrya.

Looking to add a pair of kribensis to this list.

So, I know typically tiger barbs are described as nippy/aggressive etc, which I agree with when kept in small groups. However, in my group of 80 my experience is entirely different, they are so focused on each other that they don't even interact with any other fish. In fact basically all the fish in there only really interact with their own species in their own groups. In this size group the barbs aren't even chasing each other, they all seem to just get on. Essentially too many individuals for any one to get picked on.

This is why I was entertaining the idea of bettas. If the barbs were nipping each other and everything else I would not.

I was hoping to keep a male fighter with 5 females. About 5 feet of the aquarium (11 feet total) is slow moving water, with lots of high up and floating plants. Seemed like an ideal environment for them anyway.

Obviously despite my experience with my tigers, I have never kept bettas before so wanted first hand experience/advice on if this sounds feasible?

Thanks a lot!

Water Plant Botany Organism Pet supply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! It's a work in progress, but I'm slowly getting there 😁

·
Registered
59 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. The long fins of the Bettas may be too tempting for a Tiger Barb to pass up, especially upon introduction to the tank. Bettas are pretty slow swimmers and wouldn't really be able to defend itself from an aggressive, nimble Barb. Only need 1 of 80 to get nippy and it could be a tragic ending. You may be able to get away with it, but I would not advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying, yeah completely understand, makes sense. I'd rather not risk it in that case, just good to hear someone's thoughts on it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those Betta fins are just way too enticing to quite a lot of fish. Even fish without the reputation of tiger barbs. Its a really hard no from me. Just not worth even testing it. Will end in misery guaranteed. Not even a female Betta Splenda. Far too slow against most fish that would enjoy some fins for supper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those Betta fins are just way too enticing to quite a lot of fish. Even fish without the reputation of tiger barbs. Its a really hard no from me. Just not worth even testing it. Will end in misery guaranteed. Not even a female Betta Splenda. Far too slow against most fish that would enjoy some fins for supper.
Sorry, I couldn't reply properly sooner. Yeah I hear what you're saying, definitely not worth the risk. I wouldn't want any damage or stress on the bettas so won't proceed with them. Shame as they look great, but it is what it is.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is one awesome tank!
Fin nipping aside, if your tiger barbs are like mine (I have 18 in a 75 g), they are very active fish. I’d worry that the bettas would be stressed by so much activity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is one awesome tank!
Fin nipping aside, if your tiger barbs are like mine (I have 18 in a 75 g), they are very active fish. I’d worry that the bettas would be stressed by so much activity.
Thank you!
Yeah they are constantly on the move like yours, mostly shoaling during the day where the flow is strongest, then at night down the other end where its calmer, but yeah they don't stay still for long. Definitely something I hadn't thought about with the bettas! Probably would stress them out. All in all, not the best idea of mine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts