The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been searching the internet and can’t seem to find out if Siamese algae eaters eat green spot algae. The normal looking algae that shows up on driftwood, rocks, and plants. It says they eat black beard algae, and “various types” which could mean a lot of different things. Has anyone had any experience with these fish, as I hear they are really good algae eaters. I am still getting my lighting and dosing dialed in and would like to add a few of these to just keep it from getting bad. I have a few mystery snails but they are lind of hit or miss.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nothing will get rid of GSA. It’s a very hard algae and snails may graze over it but they won’t eliminate it. I recently took all my decor out and power washed it off for a new scape. That worked like a dream but the goal is to avoid letting it start up again. A little spot algae is inevitable I think but keeping a clean tank, and nutrients and CO2 are at a much higher rate than your lighting intensity/duration then your already winning.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
So I have been searching the internet and can’t seem to find out if Siamese algae eaters eat green spot algae. The normal looking algae that shows up on driftwood, rocks, and plants. It says they eat black beard algae, and “various types” which could mean a lot of different things. Has anyone had any experience with these fish, as I hear they are really good algae eaters. I am still getting my lighting and dosing dialed in and would like to add a few of these to just keep it from getting bad. I have a few mystery snails but they are lind of hit or miss.
I have two. They are great, entertaining fish, but they don't eat much algae.

They are pretty big and fast swimmers, I think they need a 55+ tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 3 SAE and 1 reticulated SAE (silver flying Fox) in a 65 long. Yes I plan to get more they were part of a test run with an online store.

Make sure to get real SAE and no I don’t mean flying Fox or the false (parra) SAE. There are 4 kinds (that are well known at least) SAEs and it really makes a difference.

As far as GPA, I find they graze it on the glass and hard scape but they won’t destroy it like other algae, especially if it’s on plants,

Mine are barley full grown - they eat literally everything pellets, flakes, wafers...and any algae in sight they see - except BG (tech a bacteria). They will nibble on diatoms and GSA. And everything else, at least what I have will demolish. I have C. Langei - the ‘best’ kind of SAEs.

So in essence, IME, they’ll graze on it on hard surfaces but not plants and simply are too weak it seems to get GSA completely gone, as it’s a PIA algae for removal. Same thing with full blown established BBA. It’s just too tough for them but they love clearing it out before it gets bad.

They are must for planted tanks if you have the room IMO. I also have a group of 7 otos and they are the fattest, laziest fish I have in the tank, but they’re quite old, I’d consider them for a smaller tank - they work well too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never noticed mine eat GSA but it is always cruising and eating in the 55g. A warning, he has gotten big, to the point he is harassing the cory's. Time for the SAE to go.

Reactions: Plinkploop
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.