The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two siamese algae eaters in a ten gallon planted tank with one betta, two corie cats, four neon tetras, and one otto cat.

About two months ago, one of my siamese started beating up on the other. Now the mean one is big and fat and bright, and the other (still getting beat up) is small, skinny, has white/lighter spots on it, and hides all day wherever it can and breathes heavy constantly. I'm considering putting the aggressive one in my dad's 40gal with his two who don't fight. I can't really add any fish to my aquarium, so are there any other options besides adding more and moving the aggressive one? Thanks you!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have two siamese algae eaters in a ten gallon planted tank with one betta, two corie cats, four neon tetras, and one otto cat.

About two months ago, one of my siamese started beating up on the other. Now the mean one is big and fat and bright, and the other (still getting beat up) is small, skinny, has white/lighter spots on it, and hides all day wherever it can and breathes heavy constantly. I'm considering putting the aggressive one in my dad's 40gal with his two who don't fight. I can't really add any fish to my aquarium, so are there any other options besides adding more and moving the aggressive one? Thanks you!
SAEs fighting is a pretty common occurrence in my experience. The problem you have is that they are in a 10... there is no place to really hide. I had 4 in a previous 50 gallon and while 1 was definitely dominate, the others could at least escape

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, the small space is making the problem worse. Also usually I recommend any fish in 1 or 3 of more unless you know they're a mated pair of fish. When you have 2 fish of the same species it's too easy for 1 to dominate the other. They don't even have to attack it, just get most of the food etc. Three fish tends to break up that dynamic.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Siamese algae eater reach 15cm in lengh. It should go in much larger tanks.

Snails and/or shrimps would be more appropriate in a 10 gallon tank.

Michel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts