The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a little problem with my 55 gallon. Most of the fish in the tank are shy and scared of me.
I have
- 6 gold tetras
- 6 porkchop rasboras
- 3 skunk cory cat (Aren't really scared of me)
- 2 upside down catfish (Aren't scared of me at all)
I am planning on getting more fish to add to the schools this weekend, but I won't be able to add a lot this time if I can. I may get a really good amount for them a month from now at the earliest. I am getting a little worried because it may affect their eating, normally when I feed them I leave the room so they come out and eat. Anything that can help this out until I increase their school?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm guessing you have what you have until you increase the schools but there may be an option I havent heard of.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hello, I have a little problem with my 55 gallon. Most of the fish in the tank are shy and scared of me.
I have
- 6 gold tetras
- 6 porkchop rasboras
- 3 skunk cory cat (Aren't really scared of me)
- 2 upside down catfish (Aren't scared of me at all)
I am planning on getting more fish to add to the schools this weekend, but I won't be able to add a lot this time if I can. I may get a really good amount for them a month from now at the earliest. I am getting a little worried because it may affect their eating, normally when I feed them I leave the room so they come out and eat. Anything that can help this out until I increase their school?
How long have you had them? I have schools of 6... glolight tetras, mollies, etc They associate me with food and will almost taste test my hand! But yeah increasing school size generally helps.

Want to talk about shy though... I have a striped raphael cat and I realize they are nocturnal and all but he rarely ever comes out, even at the early AM hours. My tank has ample hiding places but still...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have had them for about 1 month or so, but I recently just put them in a 55 gallon tank, they were in a 20 gallon tank where they were still shy. I am going to go buy some this weekend, I am just hoping the store I got them last time still has a good amount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm afraid it will be a month or two more before the fish feel comfortable around you. Some never will. But yes adding more to the school and spending more time near the tank would definitely help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, the store that had them don't... They said they well get some more this fall, anything to help in the mean time? I have tried spending around an hour a day infront of the tank.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sometimes floating plants can help. Stuff like DWL, frogbit, or red root floaters may help with the open water shyness. Even floating hornwort or tall Vals that grow to the surface and form a canopy may help your fish feel like they're hiding while in plain view.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They may also be hiding from the Catfish. Even though Synodontis cats aren't very aggressive, that doesn't stop the little guys from being scared of them =)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would think about adding a dither fish near the surface of the water... I use endlers in my smaller tanks. They aren't scared of anything, and use the whole water column, and eat off the surface. I'd think a few male endlers or guppies would do the trick!

Where do they go when they're spooked? Behind something?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sometimes floating plants can help. Stuff like DWL, frogbit, or red root floaters may help with the open water shyness. Even floating hornwort or tall Vals that grow to the surface and form a canopy may help your fish feel like they're hiding while in plain view.
I second this.

I have 9 Porkchop Rasboras and multiple other Tetras, Danios in my 75G planted tank. I feel that plants could provide a sense of security to the fishes and not make them feel scared/shy all the time. I added CPDs to my tank a couple of days ago. They can be a shy fish, but it just took them a day to venture out more in the open.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a similar issue with Harlequin Rasbora & Cardinal Tetra's. The killi's & Chilis couldn't be bothered. Issue started when I had to QT some of the cardinals for an infection. Which decreased the school by a third.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts