The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bristlenose pleco in this 29 gallon tank. pH is 6.5 or lower (substrate is netlea). I want to move him to this 10 gallon tank with water parameters that's less harsh, and so that he will get enough food. I have a couple questions:

1. I can never find him when I need to. Even when it's night time, it's very hard to find him. Should I even try to move him? There's a lot of.. plants.. around.

2. If 1. is a yes, should I start by taking out the driftwood? It might be really stressful for him though.

3. The 10 gallon tank currently have 30 painted red shrimp in them. Is it a bad idea to put the BN into it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I never see mine - he lives in a fake tree trunk and only comes out when I'm not around. If he's out and he sees me he takes off faster than I would have thought was possible. I think he hates me.

I'd keep your guy in the larger tank - the more room the better. Give him his own cave of some sort so he feels secure and then don't worry about him. Feed him fresh veges and wafers and he'll be fine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would not move him. A bigger tank is better. Its typical for them to hide. They like caves, and they need driftwood to munch on. I have a small cave for mine which he is either in there, or hanging off of the driftwood. If you want to see him more, get some plant weights, and put it into a piece of cucumber or zucchini to weigh it down. If you pleco isn't use to veggies then it may take a few tries but he will eventually come out. My brother breeds them, and feeds them veggies everyday. They are not shy what so ever.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i have several colors of bristlenose and they are all more shy than the common pleco. it does take them some time to get used to seeing you. i would not put it in with shrimp it will probably eat them or at the very least eat the babies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know if your BN is male or female? I usually only see my females out and about. my males are usually caving, so I usually I only see their tails.
The BN's a male.

My main worry is that the BN won't come out for food, or that he won't be properly taken care of. The tank is filtered with an AC 70 and seapora sponge filter 110. I've put in fresh blanched cucumber slices every night, but it doesn't seem like that there were bite marks. I've left it up to my brother to put in an eighth of an algae wafer. There's red ramhorn snails to clean up anything.

If I bring him with me (I'll have caves and driftwood ready), I'll definitely be able to see if he's coming out to eat. <-- that's what I'm thinking.

Is this the wrong way of thinking?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think he's happy where he is. If you have pleco logs, try potting one in to see if he takes up residence in it. moving him to a smaller tank may stress him. What kind of algae wafers are you feeding? I''ve found that my plecos prefer blanched zucchini over cucumber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.