The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for my needle wheel pump to get here next week and then will crank up the CO2 on my 150. I know a lot of people shut down their CO2 at night and start up an hour or two before lights on. Is it harder to do this with a larger tank that needs more total CO2 to stay in tune?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It takes about an hour for the CO2 to get up to speed, keep reading that it takes about the same in smaller tanks too. I just test the water at lights out and want the tank water pH to be about that when the lights turn on and completely ignore slowpoke drop checkers.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yea there's a number of people here that leave it on 24/7. I don't see it being too difficult to turn it off and the fish get used to the fluctuating changes. I turn mine on 30 minutes before hand but only have a 25 gallon tank so turning it on an hour before hand (and also could turn it off 30-60 minutes before the lights turn off) shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the plants need absolutely perfect parameters as soon as the lights turn on so even if the co2 is a bit lower, it'll get to the correct point soon enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts