The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Just wanted to share my newly scaped tank. I started this tank a while ago but added the driftwood and replaced the rocks that were in it yesterday. Now I'm actually going to scape it but I need some help for plant selection.

Right now its just crammed with stuff I had. Supposedly I have Rotala green, some kind of red rotala that looks like a red version of the green stuff, HM, Blyxa Japonica (haven't noticed any growth), Crypt lucens (I think), and dwarf sag. O yah and weeping moss I tied to the wood which was on the rock. (Didn't look like it was weeping on the rock...) And of course, a little bit of HC (slow growing but its healthy looking)

The light is a 20 watt spiral daylight bulb on a desk lamp. I dose flourish excel and other flourish goodies.

So help me please! I'm thinking of narrow leaf java fern on the wood maybe. Otherwise I have no other plans. Except a field of HC which would take a while considering how slow growing it is now... BTW all the plants I have in this tank are alive, just slow growing. I don't know why. I think its either the lack of light and/or CO2. But I see no algae except some staghorn that's easy to keep in check.

Inhabitants are Cambarellus Shufeldtii (lots of juvies) and RCS. I used to have a bee shrimp in there but its gone. Just gone LOL.

:help:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rnakas: thank you!

Mathew: Yes I feared that the wood is too small for java fern. I could go with a tree type look with the driftwood though. I saw it on APC on a much larger tank and it was beautiful.

dufus: I'm not a real fan of anubias. It's too round. I've never loved a scape with anubias. Of course I've seen it used amazingly but I still think it could be replaced by crypts or something else.

Maybe some vallisneria nana? Would that be way too big? Of course with trimming I could pull it off but I've never tried it before.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey! are you copying my wood???

lol, jk. i used dead branches off my maple tree. what kind of wood is yours? i like the long branchy look too.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey nice tank! Did you post it on here before? I've been looking and looking for a small tank with branchy wood with no success. Thanks for sharing! The wood I'm using is Red Shank. "Associated overstory species of red shank include Eastwood manzanita" according to this http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/shrub/adespa/all.html
A local hobbyist gave it to me and it sinks and it seems fine. She claimed it to be fine in her tanks and why would she lie to me? She gave me two huge branchy ones so I just took some off and boiled it and used the pieces I liked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
that's algae :p the maple wood does well, i don't even remove the bark, its way too fragile. i don't get any noticable tannins from it, but it can cause an ammonia spike, so either add it to a well established tank, or seed or be ready to cycle from scratch. and it only takes about a month or two to sink for small pieces, but i always tie mine to a piece of plexi buried under the substrate anyway.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Felix: Maybe I could use my existing Dwarf Sag. It is very slowly spreading, but it is spreading.

screename: Thanks very much. I am using a Zoomed 501 filter. It usually wouldn't be used in a tank this small but I didn't mind the extra filtration because I wanted to make this an invert breeding tank. I also cut the intake and outtake tube so that it would actually fit in the tank :-D.

Christin: Thank you! I don't know about nano fish. I plan to use this tank for my crayfish/craylets. I'm planning to get nano fish for my other nano though :-D. Maybe once I get over invertebrates (will it ever happen?) Mostly I just want some extra money to pay off my hobby through these crayfish. I COULD make money breeding Celestial Danios... That would be very fun. I dunno if I could do it though. Only fish I've breed are white clouds and endlers. :-D. Two of the easiest fish to breed.

Keep the suggestions coming! And can someone ID the plant on the back right? The red one. I could get a close up at request.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Update. I like this hardscape much better. And its easier for me to maneuver around the aquarium without causing my whole hardscape to change every time.

I found out what the plant was. Ludwigia Arcuata.

·
Registered
452 Posts
:) Nice. I like.
Would look pretty sweet with some foreground, like HC. Looking forward to the moss on the branches grow in some more.

:p I would've hid the sponge intake behind the clump.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks. I tried dwarf hairgrass but my dwarf crayfish ate it... Good thing it was only one plant.

So I'm gonna go for HC. I had a few plants rooted and they were pretty healthy looking until I tried creating a slope. Then I tried to root it down again but they would always rise up (dwarf crayfish I'm suspecting) and the slope slowly got flat again (dwarf crayfish's fault again).

I think I'm having lots of problems because I'm overcrowding. The big adults hide out in the HC bush. The juvies roam around everywhere else.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.