The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a lot of nanofish in my 30g tank and I want to shuffle some of them out of the 30 into my 5.5 and 10g tanks.

I have 15 ember tetras and 7 CPDs, would the 5.5g be too small for the CPDs and the 10 too small for the embers? Would it be better to move the CPDs to the 10g and leave the embers in the 30g? Or alternatively move the embers to the 10 and leave the CPDs in the 30?

I also have 6 pygmy cories that are always hiding, i'd love opinions on whether getting 6 or so more for the 30 or moving the 6 i have to the 10 would be better.

Ok, since that's a bit confusing let's see if I can make it a bit clearer:

Options:

One:
5.5g - 7 CPDs
10g - 15 ember tetras
30g - everyone else + some new fish

Two:
5.5g - nothing yet
10g - 7 CPDs
30g - 15 embers + everyone else + maybe some new fish

Three:
5.5g - nothing yet
10g - 15 ember tetras
30g - 7 CPDs + everyone else + some new fish

And then the issue of the pygmy cories - leave them in the 30 and get some more OR move the 6 i have to one of the smaller tanks.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I think the pygmy cories, as small as they are, appreciate a bigger tank, so I'd leave them in the 30 and buy lots more to keep them company! Don't get me wrong, they do fine in my 10g tank, and love it in there, but I remember them swimming all over the place when they were in the 45g, so they definitely make use of all the space they get.

The CPDs might be a little small for the 30, because they don't really school so they can easily be hidden to the eye. I'm not saying that's a bad thing for them, but you might see them more in a smaller tank. And they'd probably be good in the 5.5g.

The embers, well, they probably would look cool, and be very happy, in the 10g. But at the same time, they probably also look cool schooling around the 30g, so that's up to you.

Those are my suggestions, for what they're worth. :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey church, thanks for the suggestions!

I was sort of thinking the same thing about the pygmy cories, they hide a lot, but I'm thinking if i get a larger school they might swim around more.

I was also thinking along the same lines with the CPDs, that i'd see them more as they are a bit shy, but is 7 of them (probably with an oto or 2) too much for a 5.5g tank?

And would 15 embers be too many in a 10g? I'm thinking not because they are SO tiny. They used to look cool in the 30g when I had 15 boraras brigittae in there too and they schooled together, but they hide a lot behind the sunset hygro now which is part of the reason I wanted to move them. I guess I could add more of another kind of fish to be dither fish? Or perhaps it would be nice just to move them to the 10 where they can be happy on their own :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
The only thing I have found is how borring CPDs are without dither fish. They always hid from me until I threw in some guppy fry. Now they come up to the glass when I come in the room.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I like church's sugestion :)
CPDs in a 5.5
Ember in 10, I really don't think it's too many I got about 20 fry if not more with 6 adult CPD in a 10.
The rest in 30

*As church said CPDs are more shy and they usually hard to see in the planted tank, I had 6 in 10g and it looked empty I added most of the fry in there yesterday and still can hardly see them... well fry still is pretty small and I think I have about 20 in there, I just hope I didn't add to many LOL

·
Registered
199 Posts
sup guys... I'm also setting up a 5.5 and had plan for RCS and 3 CPD?! now getting a bit brave since Church n Laura thinking its OK for more in a 5 gallon. am I pushing it (bein greedy) if try to put "5" CPD in my 5.5 gallon tank?!?! :biggrin: If they do breed, I can always more the new one's to my 55 gallon.... thnx :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
5 CPDs in the 5.5g should be more than fine :) They are macro fish. I have probably 20 if not more in the 10g, but 95% of them are fry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
cool... just ddnt wanna torcher those fish. dont know much bout them yet (never keept'em). well another que though... I know the CPD wont, but will the RCS have problem breeding?? meaning, will the fish eat the little invert siblings? even if just few survives, I'll be happy... :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Moss will help to save some if not most of the babies from hungry mouths
thnx Funky. yep, I'm growing HC and small clump (well unique scape) of mass in there for the little ones... will start a journal nxt week or so... :) thnx ya'll.

ya, n sorry K for hijackin ur thread. just both had 5.5 w/ CPD... :( :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I like option 2 as well.

IMO CPDs are too active for a 5.5g. They'd be better in the 10g. I moved mine from a 10g to a 20g and they were out and about so much more. I personally wouldn't confine them to a small space like a 5.5g. 10g would be ok.

I'd leave the Embers and the Pygmy Cories in the 30g. :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing I have found is how borring CPDs are without dither fish. They always hid from me until I threw in some guppy fry. Now they come up to the glass when I come in the room.
Hmm...that IS a good point....maybe I'll leave them in the 30 and move the embers to the 10 and save the 5.5 for a betta? That could work.

sup guys... I'm also setting up a 5.5 and had plan for RCS and 3 CPD?! now getting a bit brave since Church n Laura thinking its OK for more in a 5 gallon. am I pushing it (bein greedy) if try to put "5" CPD in my 5.5 gallon tank?!?! :biggrin: If they do breed, I can always more the new one's to my 55 gallon.... thnx :)
I think you'd be fine with 5 in there, I was talking about putting in 7! ;) They are TINY fish and they do like to be in a school.

P.S. Sorry Karackle for getting a bit of topic on your thread :icon_smil
ya, n sorry K for hijackin ur thread. just both had 5.5 w/ CPD... :( :)
Not a problem! :)

So I guess option 4 would be
5.5g - nothing yet
10g - 15 embers
30g - 7 CPD + everyone else + something new (probably gertrudae rainbows)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking my newest option 4 is my favorite so far, it gets more fish out of the 30 leaving room for new inhabitants, but leaves the 5 open for something else.

If only I had a 15g, I'd put the Embers and CPDs together, alas....

So the next question is how many Gertrudae rainbows?

·
Registered
199 Posts
like option "One" most.... that way u can utilize all ur tank. and have more varieties in ur tanks. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
like option "One" most.... that way u can utilize all ur tank. and have more varieties in ur tanks. :biggrin:
well you don't have to worry, whatever option i choose I'll use all the tanks, it'll just differ who goes where, if I don't move any fish from the 30 to the 5.5g I'll likely put a Betta in there ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
well you don't have to worry, whatever option i choose I'll use all the tanks, it'll just differ who goes where, if I don't move any fish from the 30 to the 5.5g I'll likely put a Betta in there ;)
lol... Betta's always a good option for any tank! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts