The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to find our three and a half year old goldfish, Nuke, had gotten stuck to the filter intake for the second time this week. She is now laying at the bottom with shredded fins and somewhat bent.

It started the day after a water change (Sunday). The diy co2 seemed to be pumping out to much and she has been one to go and sit in the stream of bubbles and get high. I turned off the co2 that day to see if it will prevent it and have been watching her closely ever since.

To my dismay I woke up and she was super stuck on the filter and it seems that its done some serious damage to fins. She is sitting in the plants just off the bottom, not moving very much.

I need suggestions asap of what I can do to bring her back to health - I'm on my way now to get some material to place over the intakes of the HOB filters.

I've never had this problem before and she's had these two HOB filters for over 2 years. During the water change I dosed as I would normally. I dosed according to the seachem product line labels, except 8ppm of nitrogen based on green leaf's kno3.

Please, any suggestions on why this may have occurred and how I can treat her effectively would be greatly appreciated. Mind you, time is of the essence and she has some good damage to fins and her body that will need to be addressed.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I dont know about bringing her back, a few extra water changes will keep the water clean to help her fight infection or any other problems.

You should get some foam, or screening to go over your filter intake if this keeps happening. I have a foam cylinder than attaches to most filter intakes to keep my smaller fish from getting sucked up/stuck. Or you could take some filter floss and wrap it around the end. Also, if you think your Co2 is in to high of concentration at night, then hook and air pump up to a timer and have it set to turn on an hour after, and off an hour before your lights.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
36g, established for 4 years (she's been the only inhabitant), 2 Aqueon HOB filters (1x20g and 1x30g). 30% water changes weekly with gravel vaccing.

BTW body of the fish is about 3" and fins stretch another 1-2"

She does have abrasions on her body at the base of her tail with blood in them. Anal fin, pelvic fins and caudal fin all show signs of damage.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know about bringing her back, a few extra water changes will keep the water clean to help her fight infection or any other problems.

You should get some foam, or screening to go over your filter intake if this keeps happening. I have a foam cylinder than attaches to most filter intakes to keep my smaller fish from getting sucked up/stuck. Or you could take some filter floss and wrap it around the end. Also, if you think your Co2 is in to high of concentration at night, then hook and air pump up to a timer and have it set to turn on an hour after, and off an hour before your lights.

Its diy co2 so shutting it off means opening it up. We weren't sure if she might have gotten too high on it (she likes to sit in the bubbles) and accidently got stuck the first time. This time, the co2 has been off for 3 days and she was looking better but apparently not. When it happened on Sunday, there wasn't damage, just a little nick in the tail that cleared up the first night.

I will be getting some screen of some sort to place over the filters. My concern is addressing these injuries and preventing her from dying - she's my girl : (

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I agree with above, a sick fish is usually the only fish that get stuck to a filter. When I started and didn't know much about cycling and stuff and stuck my fish in too early, anyones that got stuck to the filter, were dead within a day or so.

Not sure what to suggest to be honest, maybe a bit of aquarium salt and bump the temp up a bit to help her along and see if she makes it through. And certainly a sponge on the intake

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It's not likely DIY CO2 is the problem in a 36G with HOB filters.

Use antibiotics to treat the wounds. Mela/pima isn't effective.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem with antibiotics is the massive amount of water I need to treat. Am I to dose 36g worth of maracyn I and II because we can't know whether it will be gram + or gram - infection?

I've read that Melafix can be useful as a preventative.

I'm not sure why this all started after the water change. Either the parameters stressed her out (possibly too much nutrients of some kind - I'm running a nitrate test right now). I moved the co2 bottle the day I did the water change and it seemed to increase the amount of co2. Since she likes getting high off the bubbles I thought maybe she got discombobulated and got stuck on the filter. This second time is a result of her being stressed from the first time.

I did dose melafix (at half dose) to the tank and I just picked up some tulle material to place over the intakes.

I will repost nitrate results.

If I am to dose antibiotics, which route should I take given the large quantity of water and the inability to identify what types of infection may result?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Yup, a 5.5gal tank with 5.5gal worth of Maracyn would be cheaper than 36g worth of Marcyn. lol. Aquarium salt is a wonder though for so many ailments. Cleared up ick in my roomies tank better than any of the ick meds. Used it for super-strength salt dips on my cherry shrimp that had a parasite infection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am definitely not a gold fish expert, but I have had them. I would think that you could move her to a smaller container as a hospital tank. The standard betta treatment referenced above included daily 100% water changes and that is what I would try here. However, goldfish need more oxygen in their water than bettas do, so I would add an airstone. Then, you are providing absolutely clean water plus the air that she would need. With a betta, you would treat something like this starting at 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt (or Kosher salt with NO ADDITIVES--you have to read the label) per gallon and increase it to teaspoons per gallon after 12 hours. Treat until better, but not for more than ten days. Caveats:
1) Goldfish and bettas are quite different! Goldfish and tropical fish are quite different as well. I KNOW that goldfish illnesses/injuries sometimes need to be treated differently, but I don't know details.

2) My suggestions are for the current concerns, but the other posters have a point that there could be some other underlying condition.

From what I've read, Melafix seems to work for some bacteria and not others, and the distinction is gram positive/negative.

EDIT: Sorry, I was in a hurry. I meant to say that with the Melafix the distinction is NOT gram positive/negative!

If it makes you feel any better, I have had a fish too weak to swim away from a filter intake fully recover.

Keep us posted!

Leah

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If the CO2 really went high enough, it might have killed some of the biofilter bacteria, leading to a mini-cycle. I'd test ammonia and nitrite to make sure there isn't an ongoing issue stressing your fish.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, unless all of my tests are off, everything came back at zero, even nitrates.

I will be performing a 5g water change (~15%) in a few minutes.

She is moving about every once and awhile, but is sluggish and is opting to sit at the top of the tank rather than do anything else. She took a few pieces of food from my hand but didn't want anymore.

I have the tulle to wrap the intakes, I just need to pick up some tie wraps to attach it.

Beyond watching and waiting, is there anything I can do to help her out?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Streaks of blood in the fins, sounds like speticemia. Look for meds that cure it. Pima fix and melefix will not help. E.M. tablets or Maracyn II would work. If you can afford the larger amount of meds leave her in her tank. Removing her will cause extra stress, something she does not need right now. Definitely put a prefilter on the intake. Or a clean sock. And add an extra airstone as the meds usually reduce the oxygen in the water and the sock might slow down the water flow.
However, don't get your hopes up too high. Anytime a fish is too weak to resist the pull from a filter intake, especially in a tank this large, the odds of the fish pulling through are not good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts