The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I present shrimptopia!

...... well its kinda teaser pics right now. And I only say that because they are crappy quality, no lighting, and the tank has cloudy water so you cant see anything. But anyway .........

Specs:

Tank: 20 Gallong Long

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp stratum

Filtration: (2) Sponge filters, (1) Eheim 2213, and (1) Inline filter box. The second sponge filter, canister, and inline box filter are on there way here.

Lighting: (1) Aqueon T5NO two bulb fixture.

Stock: Crystal Red Shrimp

Again sorry for the crappy cell phone quality. All I have right now. I will update as the toys come in. Let operation shrimp sexi-time commence! Also excuse the tanks below. I plan on probably geting rid of the 5G moon for a 5G rectangular. And then setting up the 10G for fire red or other shrimp.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha it looks more like a mud tank. Also here is an update with new lights. Decided to go with N.O. T5s. A nice little unit for $70 at petsmart (overpriced as hell) with two bulbs. The pictures make it look brighter then it really is. But its bright enough for moss lol. The last 1/4 of the subtrate is on the way so that will be finished monday as well as the other sponge filter. Tuesday comes the canister filter. And then sometime after that the inline box filter.

The other name for this tank will be the pimpin shrimpin. Ive always wanted to do this and had some extra $ so this is awsome. I really hope I can finally get my CRS to breed and be happy.

Please let me know what you guys think. Any suggestions, comments, anything are welcome. Im an attention whore (im a guy though) so it doesnt matter. Oh also you cant see him but there is actually 1 CRS already in there. Hes my ......... canary if you will. So far hes doing great though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was wondering that too?^^^

It should be a really nice tank when it gets up and running all the way!!!

Good Luck!
Drew

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a sponge or something over the intake of that canister filter? You'll need it for the baby shrimpy!

Other than that the tank looks good ^^
Actually yeah I do have a sponge for it, just havent put it on yet lol. Either im going to use a sponge or get another screen mesh prefilter for it from theshrimplab. I may also not even use this filter afterall.

I spy an Otto. Tank looks nice. Any specific reason for so much filtration?
Hah I love ottos. I have some in all my tanks.

I was wondering that too?^^^

It should be a really nice tank when it gets up and running all the way!!!

Good Luck!
Drew
Thanks and to answer your questions the reason is because this is going to be a breeding tank for CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp) and they are very picky about their water. Its also my goal to not do a water change but once a month. I just recently learned this is done in many overseas shrimp tanks.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked Ammonia: 0
TDS is about 170
Still need to check PH but it looks like everything is settling in nicely. I guess all the substrate and decorations from the 10G near instantly cycled the tank. Plus both the sponge filter and finnex has had a little while to get a small bacteria colony going as well. So far 3 CRS and 2 ottos apear healthy and fine.

I think I will slowly add the rest as to not cause an ammonia spike.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I moved all the shrimp over to this new tank and converted the 20G regular back to a normal fish tank to house my GBR, neons, and glofish that were being housed in a temp 5G. Im going to break down the 5G, and setup the 10G again later. So I will only have 1 20G, 1 20L, and one 10G. The 10G will house my PFRs once its setup. Right now they are in the new tank along with the CRS. I dont want to keep them together for the long term so the PFRs dont crowd the CRS.

Also to make sure my new shrimp home is good to go I switched the old aquaclear filter to the new tank. So right now I have the finnex, the sponge filter, and the aquaclear. I will be putting all the old media into the new eheim so it will be instantly good to go. Then will remove the aquaclear and finnex.

I will take pictures again once everything is in place. It looks like crap right now lol. Hope all that made sense.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Orignally one 8.8lb for my 10G. Which was then transfered to this 20L. And I have another 4.4lb comming tomorrow. So to be safe I would say two 8.8lb bags. I may have to get another 8.8 myself. But I dont need as much because I wont be changing my water that often so the subrtate wont have a hard time buffering.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small update: I got my additional fluval stratum today that I had to track down at the FedEx place because the driver didnt want to leave the box I guess. I added it to the tank and its cloudy lol. Also unfortunately it looks like my two berried PFRs dropped most/all their eggs. The one I can find still has a few but not nearly as many as before. I cant seem to find the other one.

I also woke up this morning to my CRS doing the happy dance and found some molt this afternoon. So I guess they are decently happy. Still cant tell if I even have any females ..... but im guessing if they are doing the happy dance there has to be right? Ive been wondering if a female PFR molts, will the CRS males still do the happy dance?

Will be getting my additional sponge filter and canister filter tomorrow. Although I should have had the sponge today, but thanks to crappy USPS tracking I didnt know it was delivered today and the apartment office is closed.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ladies and gentlemen I give you ......... Shrimptastic Park ..... dun dun, dun dun dun, dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun ... dun dun dun, dun dun dun dunnnnn dunnnn dun dun. <--Sing the Jurrassic theme song in your head lol. But seriously Im going to pass out now.

P.S. I DARE there to be any amommnia in this tank lol.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update. So far ive found 2 baby fire reds on some moss and sponge filter. Hopefully there is a lot more. Also will be switching to aquasoil (new type) after I let it leech in my 10G.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Grats on the babies. :) Hope they do alright. The way your tank is laid out has got me thinking that maybe I had the wrong idea with a carpet of HC...who knows though. Hopefully we'll see whenever my tank finishes cycling and this ammonia stops leaching. :icon_roll

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.