The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to worry about some of my shrimps. I am keeping snowballs inside my 10 gallon tank and they aren't eating anything. I am using ADA AS I inside the tank to grow plants and such. I have Dwarf Hairgrass sp. 'Belem' inside the tank. I was told it could be that they are eating stuff growing off the grass, but I'm am skeptical.

My friend gave me his entire collection of snowballs and they were eating like mad inside his 10 gallon tank filled with java moss. I don't know why they aren't eating inside my tank! Please Help.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
How do you know they aren't eating? If they are picking around or you can see food in their digestive track (or they are pooping) then the are eating. If you don't see the picking behavior then its likely they are stressed for some reason.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
snowballs can tolerate many water parameters but I've had best success in keeping them in slightly basic water. ADA AS lowers the ph to the acidic spectrum and I agree with cocobid check that first. are they only not eating or also not moving?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are moving around. I see them moving and picking at things. They just completely ignore the food pellets I give to them. I hope its not the stress from the new parameters. I hope they make it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
should be fine, have you tried other food? and your shrimp will likely not raise young as the rasboras will eat the young.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What are you parameters? (Ammonia, NO2, NO3, pH, hardness)
Any sudden spikes or drops, even in pH or GH can be stressful.

I'm sure the shrimp are fine and just scavenging bits of food and algae from the substrate. When I add a shrimp pellet or algae wafer in a feeding dish i can barely see any missing hours later, even though i know at least 5 shrimp were eating it at all times.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just tested my water parameters and the results are:

pH: 7.4
GH: 10
kH: 4
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0

I am starting to think that it was the bad acclimation on my part that took a couple of them. I hope the rest will do okay. I got worried because my red nose shrimp, normally clear on its body, looked cloudy. He seems to be doing fine now. I am just going to do a 25% water change and hope for the best.

-Thai

1 - 12 of 12 Posts