The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I was thinking about getting some shrimp for my 20 gal med-heavy planted tank. I wanted some unique cleaners.

Here are some questions:

1. I have about 10 glow-tetras, 1 high-fin tetra and 2 cory cats. Would the shrimps be safe from them?

2. What's the hardiest, easiest shrimp for beginners? Any indepth information page that includes water parimeters and such?

3. Any advice and suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey !! first off im in floral park ny. what local shop do you go to.
as for shrimp from what i read Japonica Amano Shrimp are Great alage cleaners and get to be about 2 inches Max. ph of 6.0-7.6 and 60-80 deg F. they are also pretty cheap like $2.50 each. i think they would be large enough for the fish to leave them alone. cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp are kinda small.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Floral Park isn't far at all :D I go to Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place, great store. I also go to Pets in New Hyde Park, but not as much as Aquarium Adventure.

Thanks for the suggestion on the shrimp, I will do more research :) I have a coupon for 40% off for Aquarium Adventure for Thanksgiving Weekend, so i want to take advantage of it

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was actually looking for cherry shrimp at Pets NHP last night. the guy there is ordering them on monday should be in on tuesday. i know they dont cary amano shrimp and the few ghost shrimp they did have were like 1/2 an inch so either your corys would eat them or they would get sucked into your filter o_O.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want to raise baby shrimps, RCS are a great choice. If you don't want little shrimpies, though, Amano shrimps are wonderful. They are very hardy and live a looooong time. Plus, if you are like me, I can't find decent (or any!) RCSs around here. BOO!

Best of luck with whatever you choose. :)

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.