The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
If it fits in their mouths, they will eat it. Don't let these little characins fool you, they are just like tiny little piranhas. So it's all a matter of the cardinals getting big enough, or the shrimp being small enough. Yes, I've personally watched the horror of cardinals swallowing shrimplets.

I even have a group of 4 year old glo-light tetras that like to gang up on and attack 1/2"-3/4" RCS. They can't swallow it, but it doesn't stop them from trying, or at least ripping apart all the appandages until the ganged-up-on shrimp dies.

The only shrimp-safe fish that I've read would be otocinclus. Small corydoras might also be an option, but not sure about it.

I have three nannostomus (dwarf pencilfish) species that *seem* to be RCS safe due to their small mouth. I've seen a shrimplet just swim pass them without getting attacked. However, they are all still new to my tank, so I will not recommend them to shrimp keepers, yet.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Adding on to previous poster if you do want to keep the cardinals just make sure high provide a lot of hiding places for the shrimp. Given enough space and hiding places your shrimp will still breed. Of course your shrimp will not be as active as in a shrimp only tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a 30 gallon high tech tank, heavily planted. The fish in there are neon tetras, otos and some coreys. There is a huge moss covered piece of bogwood that is the shrimp nest, they are breeding like crazy. I agree that probably the only shrimp-safe fish are otos, and eventually we plan to transition this tank to shrimp-only. However, for now, the Taiwan Moss tree is offering enough cover for the baby shrimp. We did have some medium sized Golden Barbs in this tank which we removed. Obviously they had been eating the shrimp. Once the Golden Barbs were out of the tank the shrimps' behavior changed radically. (Much less shy, and we began seeing juvenile shrimp.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have them together and they are fine but I only have 2 Cardinal tetras and they seem very timid to me. Behavior might change in a school, I don't know. If anything I would at least try Amanos. They are pretty tough as far as shrimp goes but won't breed in freshwater. In fact my shrimp are out munching on the zuchini right now and none of my fish is attacking them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the response everyone. It really is disappointing to know that Cardinal will actually attack them. I didn't do research before I purchased them. and I really wanna have shrimps.

Do neon tetras behave the same?
I would say yes, absolutely on the neons, though I have never observed them attacking RCS shrimp of any size. The half-grown shrimp will sit on an algae wafer and feed while the neons pick at the wafer. We raised these neons on brine shrimp which we hatched and grew out in a 10 gallon tank. (Before having the RCS.) So the neons were used to eating large brine shrimp that (in retrospect) look a lot like juvenile RCS. The moss globe in our tank is about the size of a cantaloupe, the moss grows around spikey roots so the moss ball is hollow and provides great cover for the shrimp. When we put the RCS in this tank we did not think they would breed as the pH is 8+ etc. We were surprised to find they are breeding like rabbits. So, as soon as we get another tank we will transition this tank to shrimp only. For now, we just provide lots of cover. The tank is heavily planted including riccia-coverd stones on the bottom and more Taiwan Moss and riccia covering roots of a split-leaf philodendron that is growing out of the back of the tank into the room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.