The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyas,

If I noticed about 10+ shrimplets (CBS) about a week ago... and almost none now, and my WP's are perfect, would it be a pest or food ?

I feed every day, sometimes every other day.. I do crush up normal shrimp foods so hopefully it's small enough for everyone to feed on it.

I have seen some planaria, is it likely they are killing the shrimplets or because I am not feeding shrimplet formula / food that I'm losing them ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am no expert at all, but i find that sometimes they are just really good at hiding. They can fit/get to about anywhere in the tank. I have a 20L with lots of plants and moss and sometimes i can see 30+ babies and other times i can only find 1 or 2. When that happens i usually find myself repeatedly going back to the tank and doing head counts to see how many i have. But like i said, in my experience they are probably just hiding.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What kind of substrate and plants do you have? i.e they could be hiding.
Planaria are definitely as possibility.

I feed my tank every few days. Last time I threw a piece of sweet potato in there, everybody came out to feast, even the tiny little ones, LOL. So I find the big piece of food a good attractant for observation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to have those worries with my adult cherries. I thought half of them died. It wasn't until I moved the "survivors" to a smaller tank that I found the other half in the old tank... Slowly one by one over 2 weeks lol. Its easy for me to see the smaller shrimplets... Its like they're naive and sit out in the open.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah if you have moss/plants then they just hide really well. I know I see like 20 or so adults swimming around and sometime in the evening I spot 50+ juvies feeding on the sponge filter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using Mr Aqua substrate.
Also a large piece of driftwood and a couple of moss plates.

Never tried sweet potato, do you boil it ?
I might still dose with no planaria but I'll keep an eye out for little ones. :(

What kind of substrate and plants do you have? i.e they could be hiding.
Planaria are definitely as possibility.

I feed my tank every few days. Last time I threw a piece of sweet potato in there, everybody came out to feast, even the tiny little ones, LOL. So I find the big piece of food a good attractant for observation.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How long has this tank been set up? A good biofilm is really helpful with babies. Also, from my experience, and from what I have read, you have to figure about a 2 week "hump" for the CRS/CBS shrimplets to get over. If they clear that hump, they generally live on just fine. To help them with that, I find that biofilm, baby powdered food, and bee pollen are really good helpers. As others have also pointed out, a good amount of moss is always nice to have as well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Every other is what I do on the powder, and a little scoop goes a long ways. They all like it though and they'll clean it out of the moss as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm using Mr Aqua substrate.
Also a large piece of driftwood and a couple of moss plates.

Never tried sweet potato, do you boil it ?
I might still dose with no planaria but I'll keep an eye out for little ones. :(
I would just say tiny shrimps could be hard to see depending on substrate particle size.

I actually braise thick slices of s.potato for my dog. Cook them in small qty of water in covered pan. Then I peel the skin off. I give the skin to the shrimps - it has a small amt of flesh on it so it doesn't 'foul' the water too much. The dog gets the rest of it :)

Have you tried trapping the planaria with food? That would give the shrimplets time to mature a bit before dosing chems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually braise thick slices of s.potato for my dog. Cook them in small qty of water in covered pan. Then I peel the skin off. I give the skin to the shrimps - it has a small amt of flesh on it so it doesn't 'foul' the water too much. The dog gets the rest of it :)
you have a lucky dog! i want some sweet potato...lol

·
Registered
902 Posts
I had dis same thot the other day.. I thot maybe my prefilter was sucking all my shrimplets.. Lifted my drift wood and found 30+ of my shrimps jus chilling... I started moving shrimp also.. Haha good luck!

·
Registered
362 Posts
In my crs tank I was getting baby counts in the upper teens, then one day only 5 for days. I mistakenly changed water with a bit colder water. When that water hit the moss about 40 baby shrimp. Came boiling out! They do hide well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine aren't hiding.
When they reach an age that is easily seen, I notice there's only 2 or 3.
I have no plants in my tank, only moss and driftwood. Could that be a problem ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts