The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not looking for an exact answer, but from people who have not used a pre-filter sponge, how many shrimp got sucked up? I am considering taking my pre-filter sponge off because of how much it slows down the flow of my canister filter. Is it only a small % of shrimplets that get sucked up?

·
Registered
713 Posts
When I did not have prefilters on my 40 gallon breeder my Fluval 204's had hundreds of cherry shrimp in them when I changed them.

I just bought some stainless steel prefilters last week for this tank and so far they are working well. I had to change the sponges in the middle of the week because they would start to plug.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Quite a few can get sucked up but I don't mind because they keep the inside clean and seem to do fine in there. I just take them out leaving a few every time I clean the filter media.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Interesting, ive yet to need to clean the sponge on my 2213. But I keep pretty clean water though. But I can deffinately vouch for those steel prefilters. You can get em at the shrimp lab for a decent price. Only other place ive seen to get em is on ebay from hong kong and god knows how long that would take.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Interesting, ive yet to need to clean the sponge on my 2213. But I keep pretty clean water though. But I can deffinately vouch for those steel prefilters. You can get em at the shrimp lab for a decent price. Only other place ive seen to get em is on ebay from hong kong and god knows how long that would take.

ShrimpLab is sold out. I ordered the ones from Hong Kong and they arrived in about 12 days. They are not as nice as the ShrimpLab ones but I couldn't wait any more. When they are back in stock at ShrimpLab I want some of those.

Oh and I wanted to add that the shrimp in my Fluval filters are alive, there is no impeller on the intake of Fluvals so the shrimp just "vacation" in the filters until I change them. (Cherry shrimp).

·
Registered
712 Posts
Great question OP!

I got the black fluval sponge that most people have recommended. Unfortunately I lost it somewhere in the house but I too was concerned about the flow restriction on my Eheim 2215 and whether that would damage the filter or severely restrict flow.

I have had chili rasboras get stuck in there and I'd have to take them out - I don't think they're are strong as the shrimp to survive in there for months. I put a luffa net on the filter intake but it was unsightly and eventually started fraying.

For my small nano shrimp tank with a ZooMed, I'm not too concerned about flow simply bc the bioload will be low and I don't have to worry about plants getting all nutrients. In fact for the silly 1.5G experiment, reduced flow will be welcomed.

It's with the 2215 and 20G that I'm more concerned. I just cleaned the filter out on Sat and the sponges and poly-fill were completely brown/black with dirt. Needless to say, the 1" of Mircale Grow Organic Potting Soil I have in the tank really adds a lot of debris anytime I disturb it for planting/rescaping.

Maybe like with just about everything else with this hobby, I'll try it out and see what happens ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
i have a sponge on the AC 500 (110) and at one point the filter on the highest setting was just dripping. Needless to say that's when you need to clean the sponge. I didn't know how long that was.

If you regularly clean the sponge it shouldn't be a concern on the Eheim. Doesn't their wet dry come with one?

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have a sponge on the AC 500 (110) and at one point the filter on the highest setting was just dripping. Needless to say that's when you need to clean the sponge. I didn't know how long that was.

If you regularly clean the sponge it shouldn't be a concern on the Eheim. Doesn't their wet dry come with one?
Thanks for the input mach_six (ramjet or scramjet? :D ).

I think I'll simply try it out and see what happens...like you said, I'll keep an eye on the flow. I am not familiar with the wet dry Eheim filters but the classic don't come with a pre-filter sponge. They have a grated green pre-filter housing but for shrimp and small fish it does absolutely no good. It'll catch large debri like plants leaves and stems but not much more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.