The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
There are more than a few quality sellers on here.

what shrimp are you looking for?

the reason people recommend cherry shrimp as "starter" shrimp is they are cheap, easily available, reproduce fast, and can take a variety of conditions. These things that help beginners have success and continue on with this hobby.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Any Neo type shrimp are great starters.Cherries are suggested because,they are hard to,kill. Any Neo species will tolerate broader water conditions. Crystal shrimp are harder and require more care

-Chris

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
14 isnt to bad for orange rili they are pretty new here in the us still. there are a couple shades of blue neos as well. blue velvet, blue diamond, blue rili.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
BV and BR are pretty hardy. Of course there's also blue carbons in cherries, and blue pearl in palmata.

BD is not good to start with (sensitive) and throws other colors- not just blue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Blue varieties of neos can be a good place to start. Alternatively you can try amanos, even hardier than neos except they don't breed in freshwater

To buy shrimps look no further than TPT, browse through the for sale/trade section and look for sellers with consistent and nice PTrader ratings (some of those sellers periodically post sale threads, keep an eye on those). Alpha Pro Breeders is also a reliable source.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
as for where i get shrimp i get them from i get from speedia and one other on here, when soothing start selling i will get from him as well but thats it when it comes to shrimp. im sure there are others on the forum but im kinda picky and i tend to go back to who i have worked with before.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
if your going neo blues same care for the most part as cherry shrimp. blue velvet can be born with red on them but that tends to fade as they age. blue rili can have red that stays the whole life. blue diamond can give a range of colors and can be a bit more sensitive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought 10 orange rili off of Msjinkzd, I have to say they are amazing looking. I was looking at all sorts of different neo's, but these ones really popped out to me.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
down side to rili is they take a lot of culling to keep a nice color/pattern to them. over time it will very from solid color to almost completely clear if you dont cull

1 - 20 of 22 Posts