The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 shipping attempts I finally have some red cherry shrimp in my nano tank (Spec 3) at work. I started with 10 and am down to six over the course of a week. I tested the water as recently as this morning. and parameters look good. pH is 7.2 Hardness is ~150 Alkalinity 80 Chlorine nitrite and nitrate are all a big fat ZERO. If one of the dead shrimp is somewhat eaten does that mean anything? I removed left over algae wafer yesterday after they all ate and were vegging out on driftwood so I am not thinking they were hungry.
Is the loss normal? Is there a period of time that losses happen and then they line out?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
They usually deteriorate rapidly,and the other shrimp usually eat them before you catch,it. They could be stressed,from shipping. You shouldn't lose anymore for the most part. Keep their water suitable and they should do good

-Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Tetra EasyStrips and yes it was zero. I understand what you're saying but would there be any if the tank is cycled and there is virtually no bioload? I mean it needs nitrites to turn into nitrates and 6-8 little 3/4" shrimp and a few snails aren't producing much. Did I mention the tank is fairly/heavily planted.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used Tetra EasyStrips and yes it was zero. I understand what you're saying but would there be any if the tank is cycled and there is virtually no bioload? I mean it needs nitrites to turn into nitrates and 6-8 little 3/4" shrimp and a few snails aren't producing much. Did I mention the tank is fairly/heavily planted.
ha i didn't even think about that. i forgot i have a couple fish in my tank so i still get low to zero readings sometimes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On a side note I would get a liquid test kit, The strips may not be registering accurately.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long has the tank been set up?
The tank has been up about 3 months now. Plants only and brought several gallons of water here from my established tank. Of course the snails in there are hitchhikers that came along for the ride with the plants. I did throw a few flakes in here and there along the way to give the bacteria something to eat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am using ferts. Flourish, Excel and Leaf Zone. I cut back to almost nothing and did a water change about 10 days before I got them. Since they are in the tank I have only added ferts 1 time and my addition was minimal. I added .5 ml of each except the excel. I added 1 ml of that. Is this a problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.