The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This shrimp has the white ring of death. Many of my other shrimps moulted today but they are ok. Is it because the other tankmates bothered it during it was moulting? I have 4 hara jerdoni and 1 indostomus paradoxus. I also have some older shrimp in there but they are fine. The new arrivals are much smaller. I am also wondering if it is normal for shrimp to not eat much of the pellet food(Shrimp Dinner Pad) I give them after they arrive? Right now, I am adding some Bacter AE and baby powder food every other day. Should I try feeding kale? I heard that it helps with shell problems. I don't know my water parameters yet because the shipment was delayed and the shrimp arrived first.

·
Super Moderator
15,835 Posts
You should immediately stop feeding so frequently. Bacter AE is also unnecessary - it's up to you whether you feed it but I'd advise avoiding it. Definitely don't feed the amount recommended by the seller. Maybe 1/100th what they suggest (seriously) and never more than once every week or so when there are hundreds of babies in the tank. Same for the baby food.

Too much protein, too little calcium or wonky water parameters could all have something to do with the molting issue. More often than not, it's that they're consuming too much protein. Some importers and sellers keep their shrimp at higher temperatures and overfeed in order to cause them to grow faster, unfortunately.

I feed my shrimp tanks with hundreds of shrimp only once every 2-3 days and only what they can consume within an hour. Leftover food gets removed. If shrimp aren't eating, they aren't hungry.

Kale or baby spinach would definitely help on the calcium front. My preferred method is to wad up several leaves of organic baby spinach into little balls and freeze them. That breaks their cell walls down and makes it easier for shrimp to consume when you eventually put them in the tank. No need for boiling or thawing. Just drop one in the tank.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't feed my shrimp anything, they eat algae, decaying plants, and fish poop.

The white ring of death is cause by Calcium deficiency. How long have you had the shrimp that has problems? If you just received them then it's possible they were grown in inadequate conditions and might have nothing to do with your tank parameters.

40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received them around 3 days ago.

You should immediately stop feeding so frequently. Bacter AE is also unnecessary - it's up to you whether you feed it but I'd advise avoiding it. Definitely don't feed the amount recommended by the seller. Maybe 1/100th what they suggest (seriously) and never more than once every week or so when there are hundreds of babies in the tank. Same for the baby food.

Too much protein, too little calcium or wonky water parameters could all have something to do with the molting issue. More often than not, it's that they're consuming too much protein. Some importers and sellers keep their shrimp at higher temperatures and overfeed in order to cause them to grow faster, unfortunately.

I feed my shrimp tanks with hundreds of shrimp only once every 2-3 days and only what they can consume within an hour. Leftover food gets removed. If shrimp aren't eating, they aren't hungry.

Kale or baby spinach would definitely help on the calcium front. My preferred method is to wad up several leaves of organic baby spinach into little balls and freeze them. That breaks their cell walls down and makes it easier for shrimp to consume when you eventually put them in the tank. No need for boiling or thawing. Just drop one in the tank.
Thanks, I just got some baby kale and spinach and then froze them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts