The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am becoming less and less able to resist the shrimp. I've never seen them in person, but I think the RCS are beautiful. But I know they are tempermental. So, where do I start?

-What shrimp should I keep to learn about shrimp keeping to start?
-What is the best site, theplantedtank.net of the shrimp world, if you will, to research shrimp?
-I don't think I'm willing to live with some of the creepy crawlies that I see in some tanks. Are there some small fish that will eliminate those kinds of problems, but not eat so many shrimp babies that shrimp can thrive?
-I don't do medicine. I've been fortunate enough so far in the hobby that I haven't found a problem that I couldn't fix with temperature or time (I will say that when I was younger I fixed some with meds that didn't need it). Will that be the same for shrimp?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
-What shrimp should I keep to learn about shrimp keeping to start?

Any- Lower grade CRS, Yellows, Cherries. Cherries will probably be the cheapest option.

-What is the best site, theplantedtank.net of the shrimp world, if you will, to research shrimp?

I like ShrimpNow.com/forums myself; Arizonainverts.com has great information too. theshrimptank.com also.

-I don't think I'm willing to live with some of the creepy crawlies that I see in some tanks. Are there some small fish that will eliminate those kinds of problems, but not eat so many shrimp babies that shrimp can thrive?

Depends on the risk you are willing to take. Microrasboras may or may not depending on the fish. But if it fits in the fishes mouth it can/ will eat it.

-I don't do medicine. I've been fortunate enough so far in the hobby that I haven't found a problem that I couldn't fix with temperature or time (I will say that when I was younger I fixed some with meds that didn't need it). Will that be the same for shrimp?

Only thing I've had to use is Fenbendazole to kill a hydra out break. Avoid using meds with copper or a tank that has been used for repeated copper treatments as it could possible leach into the silicone or leave remnants.

Craig

·
Registered
14 Posts
See the enclosed sites for more info. Most comprehensive instructions and articles online.
http://www.planetinverts.com/

I've had success breeding RCS by using a proper substrate (ADA Aquasoil, 2 wk cycling) ,growing fern and mosses, and regular water changes. To me, RCS are on the same level of difficulty as guppies, minus the fin rot.
Take precaution when introducing plants. Dip if necessary. Last thing you want to do is introduce snails, planaria, or hydra.:frown:
Currently, my 10 ga tank houses 200+ RCS. I have additional RCS living in my backyard fountain. They were accidentally introduced by recycled waste water.

After you have mastered the RCS, it's natural to graduate to CRS.
This site covers high-end international shrimp hobby.
http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules/Jig/index.php

It's a very rewarding experience for me. Definitely give it a try.
My recommendation is to start with a 10 ga. low tech shrimp only tank. Many have done well with 5 ga.
Last thing you want is to do is stay awake at night worrying about fishes eating your small population of shrimps.:eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think its almost unavoidable in a invert tank... Planaria is always there, I had a tank that was clean with 2 filters running.... no algae ever or anything bad. Then one day just see a nice little Planaria crawling along. But its always fun, just dont overfeed.

Start off with Cherries, and before you know it, you'll have a house full with tank filled with different type of shrimps.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
15g is a good size. Most of my shrimp tanks are 10g. Easy to get and cheap.

I'd personally start with RCS. Why? $20 for 20 of them. So in the end if you don't like them or kill them, it's not a big financial loss. If you do end up liking them, sell them off after a few months to fund a new strain of RCS (like the Snowballs, Yellows, etc) or get some low grade CRS. Maybe even Tigers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts