The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I have access to soft water, 0gh 0kh (glacier vending machine water).

Have been using this water for almost 3 weeks now... but I find a problem that my GH gradually increasing over time after each water change.

I do 25% WC every sunday/ saturday and by the time on thursday/ friday... my tank GH is like 120ppm.... help please how to constantly keep my gh below 50ppm

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Why you want your GH so low?

Only a few things in a tank can increase the GH. Those being the soil, rock decorations, or supplements.

Are you using any of these? (minus the soil, which only can increase GH if it's old)

Also, you are measuring your GH in PPM. Are you using a test 'strip'? If so, do yourself a favor and get the bottle of test strips, say a prayer for them, and throw them in the garbage.

After that, go get a liquid test kit, they are indispensable and accurate.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why you want your GH so low?

Only a few things in a tank can increase the GH. Those being the soil, rock decorations, or supplements.

Are you using any of these? (minus the soil, which only can increase GH if it's old)

Also, you are measuring your GH in PPM. Are you using a test 'strip'? If so, do yourself a favor and get the bottle of test strips, say a prayer for them, and throw them in the garbage.

After that, go get a liquid test kit, they are indispensable and accurate.
I use both. API test strips and new API GH KH liquid I just bought.

the test strips : 120ppm GH 120ppm KH
the liquid test : 7th drop color changed. so its 7dkh / 125.3ppm

well I guess test strips aren't that bad.

-why I want my GH to be <50? well this website says so http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/index.html .... so I'm trying to follow it.
And I found that keeping a constant 4-6 GH is impossible?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
90 ppm Gh is 5 dgh

120 is just under 7, not bad

I don't recommend a Gh of under 3, which is anything under 50.

Are you getting Gh and kh confused in your original post? Because you do want a kh under 3

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90 ppm Gh is 5 dgh

120 is just under 7, not bad

I don't recommend a Gh of under 3, which is anything under 50.

Are you getting Gh and kh confused in your original post? Because you do want a kh under 3
oh wait noob moment. I just notice GH & KH on shrimpkeeping.com is on german degrees? not ppm... lol

I see now. I thought these shrimps need 4-6 GH PPM... lol that would be incorrect.

** This wholetime I was thinking shrimps need 4-6 PPM GH LoL.... silly me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.