The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys long time no post, I been really busy with real life but I thought I would give you all an update.

Fore those that dont remember I was having a terrible time with cherry shrimp.I put a batch into my 8gal window tank and lost almost all of them.My other shrimp(rainbow/indian whiteband or whatever)were all fine as were my pygmy corys and galaxy rasboras.So I was left with 3 female cherrys and I added 2 blue shrimp and a couple of wild looking cherries.One of the blues and one of the wild cherries (or whatever they were) died after about a week but the others were fine(both look male).I then set a 5gal tank up with the intention of getting more cherries and moving in the remaining ones.I got another batch from a different source and they did great.I didnt lose any and got my first berried female after about a week.

Sooo this is where real life kicked in and im afraid they took a back seat.I still fed them all and did waterchanges every week or so but I had a lot of other things happeing that took priorityI never did move the other cherries in with the new guys.Anyhoo they all still thrived, my window tank is really overgrown with java moss and hair algae.One day I noticed one of the cherries in the 8gal was berried.I assumed it must have mated with the wild one and that my galaxy rasboras would eat the babies.The 5gal started producing baby shrimp and I was happy(still not able to devote much time to them though).

Weeeeel today I'm off work sick and decided to feed the inhabitants of the 8gal and watch them for a while.I was happy to see about a half dozen little baby galaxy rasbora flitting about the top with the parents apparently ignoring them.Then I spot a little shrimp.Its about 3 times bigger than the biggest one in my 5gal and wait for it......BLUE :eek: I sat for at least an hour watching and a further 5-6 appeared and about half of them are blue too.Its weird cos the adult blue looks dyed blue although has stayed like this even after shedding.The little baby blues looked dyed too but surly they cant be.Just to make sure it wasnt the light or whatever I studied the ones in my 5gal and the smaller ones are clear and the largest are staring to get red/orange.

Whachu think?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the whole time I have had the rainbow shrimp they have never been berried, all appear to be female.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Is your question "Why are my RCS dying"?

Well, first we need test results for:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Next, how did you acclimate your RCS? Or did you dump them immediately into your tank? Please describe in detail including how long acclimation was from start to finish.

But blue shrimp sound cool. Are they the blue tiger shrimp?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your question "Why are my RCS dying"?

Well, first we need test results for:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Next, how did you acclimate your RCS? Or did you dump them immediately into your tank? Please describe in detail including how long acclimation was from start to finish.

But blue shrimp sound cool. Are they the blue tiger shrimp?
Umm no it was more of just an update and a kinda question as to views on if my cherrys had hybridised with the blue.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You've probably got one of those true breeding blue shrimps. They're pretty rare still so keep good care and try to spread them around some.

Congrats with the sucess, easy huh?

-Andrew

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think you need to pull those blues out and put them in their own tank, then keep culling out any color but blue. If it were me, after a while I'd add some cherries back into it to mix up the genes and avoid inbreeding depression, then I'd continue to cull out any red ones.

The reason I'd use red to cross to instead of wilds is because I'd think the red color genes have the best chance of being recessive to the blues, which means you'd get more blue shrimp. I surely do NOT know for sure, but my understanding of and experience with genetics of other animals (I breed cattle, horses and chickens) is that red is recessive to any blue/black coloration in those animals. I'm thinking that might hold true animal-kingdom-wide ~ could be wrong, but it seems that way, especially since you got a blue shrimp when crossed with a red (if red were dominant, you'd have only gotten red).

The last thing I think is that once you get a few more, you need to send some of those blues to me! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you need to pull those blues out and put them in their own tank, then keep culling out any color but blue. If it were me, after a while I'd add some cherries back into it to mix up the genes and avoid inbreeding depression, then I'd continue to cull out any red ones.

The reason I'd use red to cross to instead of wilds is because I'd think the red color genes have the best chance of being recessive to the blues, which means you'd get more blue shrimp. I surely do NOT know for sure, but my understanding of and experience with genetics of other animals (I breed cattle, horses and chickens) is that red is recessive to any blue/black coloration in those animals. I'm thinking that might hold true animal-kingdom-wide ~ could be wrong, but it seems that way, especially since you got a blue shrimp when crossed with a red (if red were dominant, you'd have only gotten red).

The last thing I think is that once you get a few more, you need to send some of those blues to me! :icon_lol:
Thanks im not sure what im gonna go yet.I know I need to get the tank off the window before it gets to warm outside.I plan on getting one of those all in one tanks to put the shrimp in.I'll see about keeping the blue ones together.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you do and they breed true, you can make a pretty penny off them selling in the Swap&Shop. I've been looking for a true breeding blue Neocaridina sp. (which cherries are) for a while, since before I got my reds, and it doesn't seem like there are many out there. Some people don't even think they exist at all. So, if you can do it, I'm serious ~ you could sell them for a good bit more than reds!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you do and they breed true, you can make a pretty penny off them selling in the Swap&Shop. I've been looking for a true breeding blue Neocaridina sp. (which cherries are) for a while, since before I got my reds, and it doesn't seem like there are many out there. Some people don't even think they exist at all. So, if you can do it, I'm serious ~ you could sell them for a good bit more than reds!
Only problem being im on the other side of the pond :icon_conf

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, crap. Didn't notice that. Bummer. Well, good luck with them anyway! :biggrin:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I caught one of the bluish ones and put it in with my cherries and theres a big difference.The blue one has an overall blue look to it and where the cherries have red striped he has dark blue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts