The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 30g shrimp tank with yellow an crs. I've noticed as of late that some of my yellow shrimp an turning white an some have died. I have no idea on what this is or how to stop it.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's muscular necrosis, which can be caused by bacterial infections or unhealthy water parameters.
Database of shrimps diseases, symptons and treatments

What temperature do you keep the tank at? Higher temps can make shrimp more prone to infections.
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee
Note the water parameters for the yellow neos (red cherry) and CRS. TDS is important too.

Minocycline (found in Mardel Maracyn 2) is usually regarded as the best antibacterial for shrimp. Followed by Oxytetracycline, then Tetracycline.

How long have you had the yellows? I'm surprised the yellow Neos are dropping before the CRS are given the water parameters. Unless the yellow neos happen to be new imports.

·
Registered
736 Posts
milky white stomach = pick out and toss. sorry to say but thats the way to save the rest of population

is that some sort of lobelia plant in last picture ?

Yes it is. Lobelia cardinalis dwarf

It's muscular necrosis, which can be caused by bacterial infections or unhealthy water parameters.

Database of shrimps diseases, symptons and treatments

What temperature do you keep the tank at? Higher temps can make shrimp more prone to infections.

Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

Note the water parameters for the yellow neos (red cherry) and CRS. TDS is important too.

Minocycline (found in Mardel Maracyn 2) is usually regarded as the best antibacterial for shrimp. Followed by Oxytetracycline, then Tetracycline.

How long have you had the yellows? I'm surprised the yellow Neos are dropping before the CRS are given the water parameters. Unless the yellow neos happen to be new imports.

I've had these shrimp for about 6 months now. And the temp is around 74. I did a WC last night and I'll do another small one tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What med did you use?
Temperature?
Injecting co2?
Have enough water surface agitation?
Is there a lot of organic matter (uneaten food, mulm, etc) build up inside the tank?
Any chance some chemical got in the tank? (even by contamination from your hands)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Might be a bacterial infection that needs to be treated to prevent more shrimp getting infected and dying. Use one of the meds I mentioned in post #8. They have all been noted to be invert safe (feel free to ask on a shrimp forum). Minocycline (found in Mardel Maracyn 2) would be the best of the three common tetracycline group.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah that's it. Pricey med, but is better than the rest. When you think about how much money it saves from saving shrimp lives, it may not seem as bad. I don't know if there is another cheaper product that uses Minocycline as it's active ingredient. BgAlsPets should have it cheaper than Amazon (but then there is shipping cost if you dont spend enough).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that's it. Pricey med, but is better than the rest. When you think about how much money it saves from saving shrimp lives, it may not seem as bad. I don't know if there is another cheaper product that uses Minocycline as it's active ingredient. BgAlsPets should have it cheaper than Amazon (but then there is shipping cost if you dont spend enough).

The price doesn't bother me. I have some furan 2, would that help at all until I can get the other stuff ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.