The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very tame synodontis eupterus approximately 3 years old and about 4.5 - 5 inches. I know this species is a predator but he lives with ottocinclus and other small fish and has never touched them.

Is putting a few shrimp in the tank for a month a viable method of checking for compatability? Basically is there a risk of him developing a taste for shrimp later rather than sooner when first exposed to them. I'd really like to know if hes going to eat them before getting a bunch of amano shrimp.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are times when I can leave my cats unattended nearby an opened can of tuna, and I'll come back a minute later and the tuna is still there. Unfortunately, this does not mean my cats don't eat tuna.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rather small for a Syno Eupterus at that age isn't it? I've had mine for 7 months (bought at 1.5" at PetSmart) and he/she is now a girthy 5.5". I also keep mine with Ottos with no casualties.

I would give it a shot personally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have four adult syno's (two of them going on fifteen years old now) in a 90 gal along with some rainbows, bushynose plecos, and otos. The synos can be a little pushy toward each other occasionally, as they are pretty territorial, but I've never seen them go after any other fish. I haven't kept shrimp in that tank, but I've had multiple oto spawnings, and even when they were just tiny, no problems with the synos.

FWIW...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
My Synod would eat anything it could fit into its mouth, including an entire school of black neon tetras. Pretty sure it snagged them at night when the fish were sleeping. :icon_frow

Catfish love shrimp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.