The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going back and fourth on shrimp setups. I currently have a 27 gallon cube that I have setup for Cherry Shrimp. I'm starting to get other types of shrimps to begin breeding them as well. If the shrimp will not crossbreed, would you add other types of shrimps in there with them or would you get a separate tank for every type of shrimp? If you go with another tank, what size do you go with?

·
Super Moderator
17,002 Posts
Depends upon the type of shrimp you want to house. Neos (Orange, Yellow, Chocolate, Cherry, et al) will all interbreed.

But Neo water parameter requirements are different than requirements for other shrimp. If you want to keep Crystal Red Shrimp, you'll need to set up a different tank until you're really comfortable with managing params and have kept shrimp for a while.

You could keep some Tigers with your Cherries, though.

Tank size is dependent upon what you prefer.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
THe problem is for the most part, shrimp that like the same type of water, interbreed and shrimp that have different water parameters don't, so that makes keeping them together hard because either they give you mutt looking shrimp or one of two kinds doesn't like the water. Best to get another tank. And another. And another. And another..................................... lol.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Depends on what space you have. :) Most hobbyists just add two or three together that won't breed with each other. Ie. Cherry, Tiger, Malawa

Heck, some even add shrimp that WILL breed with each other and to heck what anyone thinks. ie. Red, yellow and blue cherries. :) It all depends what you like, and aim for your goal.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up having to go with a 10 gallon :( Wife told me whatever I got had to fit under the fish tank and the 20 wouldn't fit. The 10 barely fits unfortunately. Looks like I'll be doing more frequent water changes to keep them happy.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Water changes for shrimp can be pretty minimal anyway. I've been doing 10% every week. Some people do less or more. Once your tank gets established, some people just worry about topping off. It really all depends on your water, how many shrimp you have, and how everything keeps in balance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.