The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an empty 10 gallon tank that i really want to do something with it. Ive been seeing alot of shrimp tanks all over this forum, and watched some neat looking ones on youtube. Im not really sure how to start up besides have a ton of plants.

Does any one have suggestions on what kinda of substrate, filter, and lighting? What plants should i add too?

what do you guys think? i need help

·
Registered
282 Posts
There are tons of choices you can choose from out there. It may come down to what you prefer and what you can spend. And what type of shrimp.

For substrate I recommend aqua soil or fluval shrimp stratum. I use both and they are great. For a filter its up to you whether you want to use a sponge filter,hob, or canister. Shrimp tanks are usually low tech so you wont need any high lighting. As far as plants, you can get away with just having moss in a shrimp tank..but that would be now fun now would it :)

Sorry I can't give you any direct answer. There really are a lot of options. The shrimp section in this forum contains all the info you need though. I spend most of my time reading through it.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
what kind of shrimps do you want to keep?....your tank will depend on what shrimps you like....

Neocaridinas (RCS, yellow, snowballs, rilis, fire reds) are really easy to keep...as long as your water is clean and your intake is covered you'll be ok.

Caridinas Cantonensis and all the bee/tiger types will require a little more work and higher investment in the set up. (CRS/CBS/OEBT,BKK, WR...all the more expensive cooler looking ones)

Don't let that stop you though! Once you set it up right you'll be good to go. Shrimp tanks are really cool.

·
Banned
943 Posts
From trial and error, as well as listening to the experts. I recomend using 1-2 sponge filters and call it a day. Oh and your choice of substrate as well. I too recomend fluval stratum if you want to keep CRS. For regular ole cherries, any inert gravel will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.