The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 10g tetra tank, I am doing 30% of WC every week.

With my shrimp tank, I heard some people get shrimp deaths due to big WC. they molted and died.

I am about to do my first WC soon, so I'd like to gather some info from you guys.. how many % of WC do you do for your shrimp tank? and how often?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,177 Posts
The shrimp aren't necessarily dying because of the water changes. If anything, it's a plus for the shrimp. If a shrimp dies during a molt, it's typically because of diet.

The amount you change really depends on your tank's health. I routinely change 50% or more water in my shrimp tanks every week. Sometimes twice depending upon the number of critters in a tank.

·
Registered
434 Posts
In my 10G, I estimate that I have between 8.5 and 9 gallons of water. I usually do a 32oz pwc twice a week. In my Ebi, I estimate that I have about 6.5 gallons of water and I do a 32oz once a week. Occasionally, I'll put a couple of ml of Prime in both, in lieu of changing the water and I'll just top them off. Seems to be working, as I have babies, I have berried females and everything is growing...

Oh yeah, I have monster sized filters on both.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I like doing 10% change twice weekly. As long as the water you are changing with your tank water has the same parameters (pH, gH etc) and temperature feel free to do larger water changes as the shrimp will enjoy the minerals in the new water. My tap parameters are a little different than my tanks so I do smaller changes so they do not get drastic changes in parameters.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Water change schedules, crystal params, etc are opinions everyone has one and thinks.......

As you can see it varies with 50% every week to basically never to 10% twice a week in only 4 replies. Some people measure pH/gh/kh TDS and everything else every few days and change depending on that. Some just throw some in there to top off whenever and don't really test anything. I know people in my area that keep crystals in basically tap water, nothing fancy, and have them breeding fine.

For me, I am using an activated soil, Netlea soil, to bring my 7.6pH 10gH/10kH tap water down to 6.2pH 5gH/1kH. Doing a big water change shifts those params on me greatly. Doing a small one will keep it more stable, so in my case I would never do 50% as it would bring my pH from 6-6.2 up to 7.2-7.4 in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing a big water change shifts those params on me greatly. Doing a small one will keep it more stable, so in my case I would never do 50% as it would bring my pH from 6-6.2 up to 7.2-7.4 in a matter of minutes.
Good point GeToChKn.. I will try 10% WC for my first.
Thanks to others who replied as well.... I thought there is some kind of "norm" for shrimp tank..

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Good point GeToChKn.. I will try 10% WC for my first.
Thanks to others who replied as well.... I thought there is some kind of "norm" for shrimp tank..
Nope. All depends on what water you use and substrate, etc. Some people just measure TDS and work out the math and know if their TDS is say 200, and they change 50% of the water with 150TDS water, they will end up around 175ppm. The key is whatever works for you, your water and your shrimp. If they are breeding and happy and not dying, stick with whatever you're doing. lol. So far my cherries, yellows, snowballs are breeding and babies like crazy. My crystals are breeding but not getting a lot of babies lasting, so I'm trying to figure out what works for me, my shrimp and my water to get them to survive and then stick with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.