The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a shrimp tank for my livingroom, it will be in view to all so I would like it to be a nice looking tank, it will be rimless and similar to GLA's 91-B tank with dimensions of 30 x 10 x 10 so just 6 inches shorter. I already have a Eheim 2215 as a filter if this will work with a custom style intake strainer or sponge covered that won't hurt shrimp, I want to try RCS first because they are cheaper to kill if I get it wrong. I'm thinking of Fluval Stratum as the substrate and no CO2 and low light but somthing sleek like a diy LED. The plants will be low light and small like Fissidens, Riccia stones, mosses, and maybe some small Crypts but I want a Iwagumi style with 3 stones or maybe something with less negative space or with just one side open.

So most of that is ok I think but please stop me if I'm going in the wrong direction here, what about the old UGF, that's right I said it out loud "under gravel filter" say it loud, UGF and proud, opps, sorry. If I were to try other shrimp later that are sensitive to nitrates or a build up of other harmful bi-products of the aquarium I thought this might be a way to keep the aquairium in good health everywhere, or is it just not needed.

I do want to keep most of the equipment hidden and may even drill the bottom and make a custom stand, but I welcome any and all ideas no matter how far fetched or useful, I would like to end up with something nice, thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Once you get cherry shrimp into a tank, it's next to impossible to get them out again, just so you know. An under gravel filter can work perfectly fine, though you could have problems with roots.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
UGF seem to be popular in Asia for some shrimp keepers. The one negative of using them is that most of the shrimp soils crumble or turn to mush which does not work well with the UGF.

This is going to be like 12G long from GLA/Mr Aqua, right? You might be able to get by on one 9L bag of Aquasoil which is rarely a bad move if you want flexibility in eventually keeping more difficult shrimp. The fact that it is nutrient rich should make the plant growth easier as well (makes the plant growth less dependent upon water column dosing).

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Get Azoo Circulating pipes if you're gonna do a UGF, and cover them with seachem matrix or some other biomedia (i mention seachem matrix because it's a great bio media and you can get a big bucket of it for cheap). Once the pipes are covered, the soil breakdown wont hinder the pipes, and the uplift tube is actually meant to be connected to a canister filter. That solves your hiding of a safe intake, and then use a lily pipe outflow, beautiful!

Also, i'd go with ADA amazonia for shrimp, it's really good once the ammonia leeching is done, it also holds it's shape better now that they've "improved" the design, lol.

And take your idea about riccia, and get rid of it! lol, that stuff is hell to get rid of and it breaks super easy and floats around your tank, worse than duckweed.

As far as hiding equipment, get an inline heater (if you need one), and the only equipment that would be in the tank is the lily pipe and the black uplift tube of the azoo circulating pipes, very clean look!

If you dont want to buy the azoo pipes, you can make your own out of PVC, just make it with elbows and pvc, and drill holes for intake in the sides of the pvc.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
I want to build a shrimp tank for my livingroom, it will be in view to all so I would like it to be a nice looking tank, it will be rimless and similar to GLA's 91-B tank with dimensions of 30 x 10 x 10 so just 6 inches shorter. I already have a Eheim 2215 as a filter if this will work with a custom style intake strainer or sponge covered that won't hurt shrimp, I want to try RCS first because they are cheaper to kill if I get it wrong. I'm thinking of Fluval Stratum as the substrate and no CO2 and low light but somthing sleek like a diy LED. The plants will be low light and small like Fissidens, Riccia stones, mosses, and maybe some small Crypts but I want a Iwagumi style with 3 stones or maybe something with less negative space or with just one side open.

So most of that is ok I think but please stop me if I'm going in the wrong direction here, what about the old UGF, that's right I said it out loud "under gravel filter" say it loud, UGF and proud, opps, sorry. If I were to try other shrimp later that are sensitive to nitrates or a build up of other harmful bi-products of the aquarium I thought this might be a way to keep the aquairium in good health everywhere, or is it just not needed.

I do want to keep most of the equipment hidden and may even drill the bottom and make a custom stand, but I welcome any and all ideas no matter how far fetched or useful, I would like to end up with something nice, thanks so much for your help.
let me know when you want some cherries, I will send you some for free.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you everybody for the replies and all the good info, I will check it all out soon, also thanks for the shrimp offer but I have 43 Cherries in my community tank but it's so big a rarely se more the 3 or 4 shrimp daily, the new tank is going to be almost all about the shrimp.

I love Riccia, I have 19 pods of it floating in my 150 and this is where I see my shrimp hanging mostly, but it would be different with a small, shrimp only type tank.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get Azoo Circulating pipes if you're gonna do a UGF, and cover them with seachem matrix or some other biomedia (i mention seachem matrix because it's a great bio media and you can get a big bucket of it for cheap). Once the pipes are covered, the soil breakdown wont hinder the pipes, and the uplift tube is actually meant to be connected to a canister filter. That solves your hiding of a safe intake, and then use a lily pipe outflow, beautiful!

Also, i'd go with ADA amazonia for shrimp, it's really good once the ammonia leeching is done, it also holds it's shape better now that they've "improved" the design, lol.

And take your idea about riccia, and get rid of it! lol, that stuff is hell to get rid of and it breaks super easy and floats around your tank, worse than duckweed.

As far as hiding equipment, get an inline heater (if you need one), and the only equipment that would be in the tank is the lily pipe and the black uplift tube of the azoo circulating pipes, very clean look!

If you dont want to buy the azoo pipes, you can make your own out of PVC, just make it with elbows and pvc, and drill holes for intake in the sides of the pvc.
That's a good idea and I might take it a step farther and flip it over (Azoo) and connect it to a bulkhead fitting and drill for the outlet too, so no lily pipe required. But it will be a big bed of nitrifying bateria and I should have the best and most oxygenated water on my block. I'm not going to use any big deep rooted plants, most likely Riccia stones, etc., I got the idea at the ADA site and made some this morning from a scrap piece of flagstone.

These were the best 4 out of 10 or so with a uniform 3/8 thickness and they can be any width or lenth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts