The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Some know that I am in the final stages of setting up a CRS tank. In fact, all I need is to figure out this pH thing and I'll be ready to add them!

My tank is fully cycled. It is a ten gallon with a 27w 6,500k desk lamp, a bunch of mosses, an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter, Top Fin 50w heater, and Eco-Complete as a substrate.

My pH is around 7.4-7.6. I use distilled water (Essentially RO water) treated with Prime and Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+. Straight out of the jug, the distilled water pH is 6.5. I've done several water changes, hasn't really done much. Should I keep doing water changes? Any ideas on the cause??

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I had issue with eco-complete raising TDS and PH. I was suspecting the liquid in the bag but even rinsing it multiple times, it still raises TDS and PH. I now only use it for Neocaridina and it works great, I myself will not use it for bee shrimps.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It is the liquid in the eco-complete, I had this issue with some before. That is why I mixed it with mirical grow organic potting soil for my planted tank. The peat moss in it acted like a nuteralizer to it.
Like I said, I doubt it's just in the liquid. I have a tank with EC, I removed the substrate after 3 months, put in a bucket, rinse it at least 10 times, put in a new tank, add water and it still raises PH and TDS, it's 8 month since I first bought it new.

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have about 2 inches of substrate. You say adding a bit of the potting mix neutralizes the stuff that raises pH and TDS? How much do I add? Is it safe to use it in a shrimp tank? Will it remain stable (The pH that is)?

Thanks!

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
No your tank will be unstable with this for shrimp, I did it for a planted tank only with a huge pool filter sand cap. My shrimp tank I did this with imploded in 8 months due to a huge ammonia spike from the mirical grow. I would take out the eco-complete

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you have any rocks or big stones? In my planted tank i have 4 rocks and 1 cholla wood. Everything else is plants, my ph is constant 7.4-7.6.

I heard that adding driftwood will lower ph. Maybe try balancing it out if you have rocks?

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn it. I should have known this would happen.

Sighhhh... is there any substrate I can put in a filled tank? I know I can't do that with aquasoil.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Eco complete has always raised my pH. I used it in Sulawesi tank, so it wasn't a waste for me.

Is there a reason you didn't use an Aquasoil?

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did get AS. Except I washed it, unknowingly to the point I washed away all of the AS magic dirt. So I just used an unused bag o Eco.

What should I do???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts