The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so i have a 5.5 gal RCS tank. It has one moss ball, 1 java fern, a heater and a filter just need a light. Anyone know a good/decent lighting i can get so i dont keep my room lights on all day? Do i need incandescent, florescent, or LED light?
:help: And Thank you for the tips/help in advance :proud:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
And if that's too much money you can check/w Petco as they are changing carriers on Zoo Med to Coral Life so some of the Zoo Med stuff is like lalf price and they have a reptile clamp on light that will hold a CFL bulb or for $10 you can get one from Home Depot. The correct bulb for that use is the 13W 6500K one. Not the 26W as it is too high and will cause much algae.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A small LED (like a SPEC 2) or CFL screw in and clip on lamp should be more then enough as all your plants are low light and in such a shallow tank I'd worry about overheating the water. Honestly I think the heater is likely not necessary unless it is set on 74. Usually your house temp will be fine unless it goes way low (into the mid 60's). Most shrimp (discounting Sulawesi species) like a lower temp in their tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts