The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will keep setup short and get to the breakthrough.

Shrimpkeeper: 4 years, Many size tanks
Feed: (Micro dose and changed up daily)
pressed mulberry/csf bee pollen/bacter ae/shrimp baby/mineral junkie/magic powder/algae waf/
5.5 gallon Nano
Fluval 107
75 degrees (1 degree variance )
PH at night (Co2 off 7.0)
PH daytime (Co2 on 6.7)
30% water changes every four days / RO Salty Shrimp
TDS 189
NC Red/Yellow/Orange with several others enjoying the bath..
Colony: 30+ shrimp, 1 mystery snails, 6 assasin snails

Started to notice a small explosion of copapods and worms. Shrimp were eating normal, did not want to go the chemical route just yet.
Installed UV Green Killing Machine (replaced the sponge with one more shrimp safe) and at the same time installed a diffuser for air with smaller bubbles.

Within two days my ENTIRE clan AND snails are eating out of control, non stop! I have kept shrimp for years, never seen this kind of response.
Getting a continous dissolved oxygen meter to see what the change is for the micro diffuser. But no way I am turning this combo off and making my animals suffer in the name of science.

Explosion of copapods has died down. Worms too. Not gone folks, this is fluval substrate and live creatures. But, seriously worth the $60 between these two devices to see this kind of response! I mean three days later and they are still eating everything I put in front of them.

By all means find your own, but heres the links to what I added.

Bubbler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRGDMWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UV Sterilizer:Amazon.com: Green Killing Machine 9W Internal UV System with Power Head & Two 9W Replacement Bulbs Bundle (3 Items): Pet Supplies

While I like the idea of inline, (and will probably switch to one) I wanted 9w instead of 3w Fluval to get the party started right!

Cheers! 2021-02-12_08-10-58.jpg
2021-02-12_08-10-58.jpg

2021-02-12_07-44-16.jpg 2021-02-12_07-44-32.jpg
2021-02-12_07-44-16.jpg
2021-02-12_07-44-32.jpg

Reactions: Econde

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
From what I'm seeing....

You are using a UV sterilizer which helps to clean the tank of algae.... which is your tank inhabitants main food...

So they are having a harder time scavenging for food in the tank. This means that they must find food 'elsewhere'... aka the food you are putting into the tank.

Is it really beneficial to the tank if you are destroying their natural food source?

I've never used one before, so I could be way off bounds! Just... my thought process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I'm seeing....

You are using a UV sterilizer which helps to clean the tank of algae.... which is your tank inhabitants main food...

So they are having a harder time scavenging for food in the tank. This means that they must find food 'elsewhere'... aka the food you are putting into the tank.

Is it really beneficial to the tank if you are destroying their natural food source?

I've never used one before, so I could be way off bounds! Just... my thought process.
100% with you. -

Beneficial bacteria growing everywhere still and they are taking that in too. I think the water is cleaner, the right hings are growing, but this is absolutely why I posted it. I mean from the activity it I would expect most of the adults to molt, females are berried nicely, must have at least 12 newbies on the glass eating.

I had used a twinstar in the past as a sterilizer, seemed to be more hit or miss. Nano tanks are just so different, water changes so fast!

Reactions: Zoidburg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 days plus and the colony going stronger than ever, babies everywhere, getting their new 5.5 gallon ready. Going to go inline with the sterilizer on 12 hour cycles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 6 update. Everything looks good, switching it to 12 hours, and then down to 6, will leave it going 3 hours/day when done.

Appreciate your insight Zoidburg~ Still shrimp responding better to food, multing more, babies like crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts