The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything i could place on the filter intake to make sure my shrimp dont get sucked up?
I put some fabric and sponge attachments on the intake but it eventually backed up my filter and slowed down the flow dramatically. is there anything else i could try without slowing down the flow?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go and pick up a Aquaclear sponge for the AC30 or AC50. Cut a hole in the top (long side) and put it over your intake. This will do 2 things. Keep the shirmp out of your filter, and also acts as a prefilter. The sponges that you have used may be too dense to allow for much flow.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Panty hose!?

·
Registered
987 Posts
They live and breed in my canister filter.
Do they really? I'm about to put some CRS in my main tank but was going to cover up the intake with black panty hose first..I'm thinking that if they were large enough the propelor would wake them to death on their way in my fluval... nah, I'll wait.:hihi:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go and pick up a Aquaclear sponge for the AC30 or AC50. Cut a hole in the top (long side) and put it over your intake. This will do 2 things. Keep the shirmp out of your filter, and also acts as a prefilter. The sponges that you have used may be too dense to allow for much flow.

This works extremely well. I do this also!!

Steve

·
Registered
199 Posts
+1 on the sponge. I think the nylons clog too quick. Plus, shrimp love to pick at the sponge. You only need to clean the sponge every 3 month or so depending on how clean your tank is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do a search on ebay for "bio filter crs". I've used these as prefilters and they work very well. They ship from China so it takes about a week and a half for them to get here, but I think it's worth it. They're cheap and the filter has big enough pores that it prevents clogging but still keeps shrimp out.
Thank you for the information. Those filters look good and price is fair. Do you or anyone happen to know if they would fit on AquaClear 20 intake? Thanks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
+1 on the pre filter sponges, i picked up one at the lfs (they keep em with the reef stuff them guys use them alot) little pricy for a sponge imho $8 but it goes 2-3mos with no cleaning. Its nothing but a rinse-squeeze-shake in my water change refuse and its good again. helps my canister cleanings space out alot longer as well 3+ months before i notice any flow drops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.