The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey shrimp lovers! I have a question and maybe one of you can help me. Please no hate since I’m trying to figure this out and make it right. I did not do my research before added the shrimps. I got one of those marineland 5 gallon portrait tanks and added like 8 shrimps to it. They disappeared and I was like wth. But they are all alive and well in the back compartment of the tank where the filter is. I’m going to do a partial water change soon and I’m wondering If anyone has any suggestions on how to capture those guys. And yes. I have blocked the filter intake with sponges today. Should be all safe for the shrimp now. Thanks guys !

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about blocking the intake with sponge. I have 6 amano shrimps in my 10 gallon AIO tank which has filter compartments built in to the back of the tank. The shrimps go back and forth between the main tank and the filter compartments.

·
Registered
341 Posts
No real danger having them back there, but you won't get to see much of them :)
You could get creative, maybe put a greenbean on a string and just fish them out of there when they climb all over it. My shrimp can't resist them...

• Haha
Reactions: deeda

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol. True. I only see them if I open the back compartment door. Cool. I'll try that. The green bean would be raw or do I boil it?

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
Hey shrimp lovers! I have a question and maybe one of you can help me. Please no hate since I’m trying to figure this out and make it right. I did not do my research before added the shrimps. I got one of those marineland 5 gallon portrait tanks and added like 8 shrimps to it. They disappeared and I was like wth. But they are all alive and well in the back compartment of the tank where the filter is. I’m going to do a partial water change soon and I’m wondering If anyone has any suggestions on how to capture those guys. And yes. I have blocked the filter intake with sponges today. Should be all safe for the shrimp now. Thanks guys !
If the compartment isn't lit well, you'll definitely want to remove them and get them to the main part of your tank. Your shrimp (plural, one s) will do better in general in your main tank.

You could use just about anything to move them. The easiest method is to just net them out if that's possible. I've sometimes used a net with a piece of food in it. Just pull the net when shrimp are inside eating the food.

Would be a good idea to cover any openings large enough for shrimp or shrimplets with netting like fiberglass window screen or sponge - not just the intake. They're sneaky little bugs and will go everywhere they can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the compartment isn't lit well, you'll definitely want to remove them and get them to the main part of your tank. Your shrimp (plural, one s) will do better in general in your main tank.

You could use just about anything to move them. The easiest method is to just net them out if that's possible. I've sometimes used a net with a piece of food in it. Just pull the net when shrimp are inside eating the food.

Would be a good idea to cover any openings large enough for shrimp or shrimplets with netting like fiberglass window screen or sponge - not just the intake. They're sneaky little bugs and will go everywhere they can.
Thank you. Makes sense. Just that the spot they are at is pretty narrow. I tried a small net but it’s just hard to move it around. I’ll figure it out. Thank you for the tip

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
Thank you. Makes sense. Just that the spot they are at is pretty narrow. I tried a small net but it’s just hard to move it around. I’ll figure it out. Thank you for the tip
One thing you can use in addition to food is a chunk of moss or even a piece of leggings/stockings. Shrimp will cling to that sort of stuff.

Have you tried a telescoping shrimp net? The tiny kind from Fluval? If not, definitely check them out. They'll fit in almost any nook or cranny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plant Water Green Fish supply Grass

Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

That’s the tank and that’s where the 11 shrimp are. I saw one cruising in the tank today. Looks like thst one made it out

One thing you can use in addition to food is a chunk of moss or even a piece of leggings/stockings. Shrimp will cling to that sort of stuff.

Have you tried a telescoping shrimp net? The tiny kind from Fluval? If not, definitely check them out. They'll fit in almost any nook or cranny.
Right on. Thank you. I’ll check that net out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts