The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the shrimp world and have a few questions. I have a 10 gallon tank, with a bubble wand in the very back. In front of the wand, is driftwood planted with java fern, java moss, and anubias. I also have a moss ball in a corner. I have a top fin power filter 10, which I plan to cover the bottom opening (where the water enters) with a sponge filter cover? Would that work? My water seems ok, the only concern I have is the PH which is at roughly 7.8. I dont have anything in there yet, because I am going on vacation for two weeks. When I return, I will buy some cherry shrimp. I had the tank for about a month now, and used to have guppies, along with three loaches. The guppies died within days, and the loaches remained alive until I decided to return them. Two weeks later, I am here with an empty tank. I have a few questions:

1. Can I put neon tetras in the tank? I was planning to put five, but if they stress the shrimp and eat them all I wont do that.

2. What do shrimp eat? I was planning to feed them banana leaves, guava leaves, and algae pellets? Any specialized shrimp food you recommend is great.

3. Is my setup fine? Will the shrimp be happy and healthy?

4. Any changes I should do to my tank? I cant change the flooring, which is gravel.

Thanks for any responses, any other tips you have for me will be great! I think thats about it, but one last thing. Heres a photo to the tank - https://i.gyazo.com/...d30545a5bff.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new to the shrimp world and have a few questions. I have a 10 gallon tank, with a bubble wand in the very back. In front of the wand, is driftwood planted with java fern, java moss, and anubias. I also have a moss ball in a corner. I have a top fin power filter 10, which I plan to cover the bottom opening (where the water enters) with a sponge filter cover? Would that work? My water seems ok, the only concern I have is the PH which is at roughly 7.8. I dont have anything in there yet, because I am going on vacation for two weeks. When I return, I will buy some cherry shrimp. I had the tank for about a month now, and used to have guppies, along with three loaches. The guppies died within days, and the loaches remained alive until I decided to return them. Two weeks later, I am here with an empty tank. I have a few questions:

1. Can I put neon tetras in the tank? I was planning to put five, but if they stress the shrimp and eat them all I wont do that.

2. What do shrimp eat? I was planning to feed them banana leaves, guava leaves, and algae pellets? Any specialized shrimp food you recommend is great.

3. Is my setup fine? Will the shrimp be happy and healthy?

4. Any changes I should do to my tank? I cant change the flooring, which is gravel.

Thanks for any responses, any other tips you have for me will be great! I think thats about it, but one last thing. Heres a photo to the tank - https://i.gyazo.com/...d30545a5bff.jpg
1. I wouldn't keep them together because they can easily pick on baby shrimp. Usually shrimp do better in a tank by themselves, especially if the tank is not that big.

2. Shrimp are scavengers so they eat whatever they find like algae, biofilm etc. Leaves grow biofilm/micro organisms which the shimp eat and at the same time those leaves release tanins which are valuable to the water column.

As far as specialized food, there are a ton. I would recommend looking for products that have natural ingredients and have a proven track record. Some of the ones I use are MK Breed, Lowkeys, CSF, and Glas Garten.

If you plan on just keeping shrimp and not really interested in breeding heavily I would recommend to stick with foods that are not protein heavy.

3. Your tank sounds good and they should breed like rabbits.

4. Picture is not working.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely go with your idea to cover the intake on the filter with something, the shrimp will graze on the stuff that grows in the sponge/mesh/whatever you use and it will keep them from getting sucked into the filter, especially the little ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.