The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, apparently our tap water is running high on ammonia currently. The tank sample tested 0 for ammonia so it's been processed already but I'm guessing the water change caused a slight spike which was just enough to upset the shrimp?
Seems many water suppliers are "modernising" by switching to chloramine for disinfection rather than chlorine. Chloramine brings several issues:
- chloramine contains ammonia, so a big water change can mean a big ammonia spike
- not all dechlorinators remove chloramine - check the label carefully!
- some cheaper RO systems (e.g. RO Buddie) do not remove chloramines - you need to add an additional stage to the filtration

Not sure if this is in anyway related to your issues, but worth bearing in mind. You should be able to check on your water supplier's website and view a water analysis to see if chloramines are being used. Dechlorinators like Seachem Prime remove the chloramine and detoxify the resulting ammonia for 24-48 hours which is hopefully enough time for your bio filter to process it. But in a shrimp only tank with low-level biofiltration, it may take longer to process after a big water change and hence the ammonia can re-toxify once the Prime wears off.

Seachem make a free ammonia alert thingy that stick on the glass inside your tank and lasts for 6 months. Something like that might be worth looking into?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the RO Buddie, I'll do some more reading to see what I'd need to get to process chloramines. It doesn't sound like my city plans to start using those currently; they're talking about using chlorine only and expanding their use of activated carbon and biological filtration.
I can save you some Googling if you choose the RO Buddie route (which I can recommend as I bought one myself a few months back and it works great, easy to install, good instructions, cheap replacement filters, etc, etc).

With regards to removing chloramines....

Read this: https://aquaticlife.com/blogs/news/chloramine-a-virulent-adversary

Buy this: https://aquaticlife.com/products/in-line-kdf-85-catalytic-gac-cartridge-for-chloramine-removal

Kind regards, James

P.S. If you have ammonia in the water, from whatever source, just remember that Prime only detoxifies it for 24-48 hours (according to Seachem). So good to re-dose Prime daily (or thereabouts) for a few days after water changes to make sure it stays non-toxic until the bio-filter has chance to process it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.