The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big should my baby Cherry Shrimps be before I move them to a different tank? Also, what is the easiest/safest way to catch them? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It depends on how heavily planted your tank is and what kind of substrate you're using. If it's something coarse the shrimp will just hide between the grains of the substrate. If it's heavily planted, they'll hide in the plants. In those cases it's easiest to trap them with a bottle trap and go from there. You'll catch adults and juveniles as well, but that's the cost of doing business. If you've got something like sand as a substrate, and the tank isn't heavily planted, a net works fantastically. Turkey baster otherwise. You can move them as soon as they leave the egg, more or less.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all of your for your replies. The tank is lightly planted right now, but I have a lot of Java Fern and Anacharis which keeps the little suckers hidden. Is there a better time of day to do this? Also, if I do try to trap them, how long should I leave the trap in the tank, and what are some suggestions for what I should use to bait the trap?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts