The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I have UP Shrimp Sand Micro in my 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. Been up and running for several months now. Is all doing fine so far!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Jake said it best

ADA Aquasoil

Azoo Plant Grower Bed - a single bag will be more than enough for a 10gal

UP Aqua Shrimp Sand is good but over priced, likely need 3 bags

Fluval Shrimp Stratum is okay, cheap

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,161 Posts
gmoses: I guess a better way to do this is to ask your budget for substrate. What's your ideal price point?

I think ADA Aquasoil is the best product out of the ones I mentioned. But you'll have to endure a month of cycling. Which isn't a bad thing - running a tank for a month before adding shrimp really benefits them and allows their environment to be nice and established before they move in.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
if your kinda in a rush and need to go on the cheap side i have been running fluval shrimp stratum since feb and added shrimp right off the bat. i did have alot of moss and things from other tanks in there for the biofim to start them out with. and it has worked well for me

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
My Fluval Ebi has Fluval Shrimp substrate as well. Been up and running since August. Is working fine.

Like Wicca, I put the shrimp in shortly after set up using well aged driftwood and plants with a daily dose of Nutrafin Cycle to keep things running right.

My tap is crap so I use either RO or distilled water.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How's the Azoo Plant Grower bed? Does it leak out ammonia like Aquasoil?
If you're looking for buffering, there are several options.

ADA Aquasoil

Azoo Plant Grower Bed - a single bag will be more than enough for a 10gal

UP Aqua Shrimp Sand is good but over priced, likely need 3 bags

Fluval Shrimp Stratum is okay, cheap

Several others on the market.

·
Registered
494 Posts
what i can offer as advise is... what i did (it's a pain DON'T)

i used caribsea ecocomplete planted, to 1/2 to 3/4 depth and upaqua shrimp sand over... well... they have mixed on the top (only the top of course) from moving plants - i'm a girl, and i'm fickle so plants get moved deal with it ;) LOL (lectures on moving substrate are always allowed)

my amanos seem to enjoy 'remixing' it on me when ever i separate it. i just did another tank the same way (i didn't have enough of either to do it 100% and you can't possibly plant in upaqua shrimp sand... it's all floaty) but i only have blue velvets, so they are okay.. and i will not replant it (often) as it's only 8x8 (okay so it's on it's 3rd 'fix) shhh...

i'm sure someone has a better way.. but i do like the upaqua product A LOT that is the problem.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey Rob,

I still have my bag of shrimp sand and have been debating on using it. Did you have to cycle it?

I have UP Shrimp Sand Micro in my 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. Been up and running for several months now. Is all doing fine so far!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.