The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum looking to set up a simple planted tank for my betta. Looking around at the tanks on here has peeked my interest in shrimp. I'm going to college and only really want to keep one tank for now. I have a 2.5 gallon that is has a decent amount of plants but if I got shrimp I'd probably add a bit more.

Is it a bad idea to add shrimp in with my betta or could they survive given enough cover. Also, my betta is a wimp. He gets scared of his pellets when they start to sink and kind of freaks out. He cowers in his hidey hole if I so much as reach across my night table.

I was thinking about just picking up a couple ghost shrimp because they are $.60 so if they got eaten it wouldn't be a huge deal but I read they can be pretty aggressive towards fish so I would be more concerned for my bettas safety than theirs. As I said, he's a big wimp and he spends most of his time resting so I feel like his long fins might become a target.

So, I'm now thinking of picking up some rcs because I like the idea of having them in my tank. But will I just be signing their death warrant?

Basically I just want some advice. Are ghost shrimp a go or are RCS better? Or should I wait til I can set up a second tank to appease my shrimp curiosity?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ghost would at least not stand out as much to the betta. Betta's don't like color of other fish, shrimp, etc.

The real thing with betta's is each one has a different temperament. Some people can keep a betta with other fish, shrimp, snails and they are like a community fish. Other betta's will attack anything onsite in their tank. I had one that would even peck at the ramshorn snails in the tank, and probably eventually ate some.

Ghosts are a cheap test and the very least, a treat for the betta. lol. I tried some orange sunkist with my betta. The one got attacked right away and my betta had it like a dog shaking it back and forth in its mouth till it was dead then ate it. I got 1 out. The others hid and I never seen again. Tried a few different fish with him, nope.

·
Registered
494 Posts
honestly i have a betta and neocardia (cherry) shrimp ... and the shrimp are WAY easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I not be worried about the ghost shrimp harassing the betta while he rests/sleeps. I worry about him cause he's so skittish. And his fins are just starting to grow in.

I have an extra tank that I could set up for just the price of some plants, I'm just more worried about having time to maintain both set ups. I think it's either add them to this set up or none at all, at least for now.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Like everyone has said, depends on the betta. There's enough room in that tank for the shrimp to get away. They are faster than the betta. You can add a piece of cholla wood as cover. I don't think either of those 2 shrimp will bother the betta.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I had to go to union square today so I thought I'd stop by the big petco. They had some cherries but they were $5 each and I didn't want to spent $20+ if they might just become a tasty snack. I ended up picking up three amanos. Will they be an alright addition to the tank?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
it really all depends on the betta but if it goes after then i dont see why a "bowl" for them wouldnt work just have to keep up on water changes and its always pretty looking at a planted bowl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.